What's new

Do you unscrew your DE razor to dry it and mount it back after each shave?

Do the screw thread worn out more?
I stay in hot humid country in Singapore, switched between my Feather AS-D1 & DLC coated Weber head on a BRW Bulldog handle for so many years never once I took it out for drying, only took it out for blade change and never have any issues with mine so far (for over 7 years).

Do you think taking the blade out to dry is not required have none benefits and only worn out the screw threads faster?

I don't think it's necessary after every shave. Clean the razor and air dry it thoroughly when you change the blade should be enough and that reduces the risk of excessive wear on the heads, particularly on zamak razors.

Do you unscrew your DE razor to dry it and mount it back after each shave?

No,never.I just shave with it,run it under hot water,blow on the blade gaps and simply hang it from its stand.
When I change blades,every Saturday morning, I simply give it a good whipe so as to remove any accumulated water salts.

Naw. On the blade change - yes. But not before.

Надіслано з мого Redmi Note 3

I always take the blade out of the razor, then scrub the razor under the hot tap with a nailbrush, dry and polish it with a towel and hang up the dry, shiny razor on the rack.
I rinse the blade under the cold tap at full pressure, then blow hard to get rid of excess moisture. I load the blade into a different razor ready for the next day's shave.
As a rule I alternate between TTO and 3-Piece razors.

As a result, my razors are pristine at all times, and unless I'm trying out a new razor, I never shave with the same razor 2 days in a row - plenty of variety in my shaves.

The reason for this is because the water in Mallorca is some of the worst water in the whole of Spain, it has a residue of Lead from the ancient pipes that weren't replaced with modern plumbing until the 1980s, Nitrates which are a by-product of 4x the recommended levels of Chlorine - necessary to deal with the E-Coli that is present in the water supply. If all that wasn't bad enough, the tap water is also very hard.

As a result, water that is allowed to dry naturally leaves white blotches on the razor from the chemicals, which will cause corrosion over time, a razor that isn't cleaned daily soon gets gunked up with soap residue, so much so that a razor that hasn't been cleaned for a week looks like a years old relic that just came from a flea market.

Living proof of the old saying "A stitch in time saves you nine"- 30 seconds after every shave spent caring for my razors and blades saves a lot of time and elbow grease.
The threads don't seem to wear out any faster, but if they ever feel a little stiff, a tiny drop of oil works wonders

Been shaving since the early 1960s and I have never done it and never had any problems. Complete waste of time but, as always, YMMV.

Yes, I do unscrew and mount it back at each shave, for a very simple reason: sometimes I had some traces of rust from leaving the blade in it.

Yes, I do. I dismantle and clean it, then dry it, and if I've used the blade more than once, I dry and remove accumulated oil from the blade.

R

romsitsa

Yes, disassemble or open the doors (if it's a tto), remove the blade, rinse everything in hot water and reassemble (close the doors) after it dried out. I never store the blade in the razor.

Adam

Instructions for a Wilkinson Sword Sticky: "After shaving, unscrew the razor half a turn, rinse the head in hot water, shake off surface moisture but do not wipe the blade". Been using my Sticky since 1969, seems OK. With my Feather AS-D2 I just rinse and put in it's stand.

After every shave I rinse out my shave mug then put it back into the cabinet. I rinse out my shave brush, give it a couple shakes then brush a few times into a wash towel before placing it back on its stand. Rinse my lather bowl if I used it and place it back on the stand.

Then I'll break down down the razor. Pull the blade and place it on the counter (remembering which side was up), Rinse and wipe down the razor. Rinse and wipe the blade, strop both sides a few times on the lower palm of my hand before dipping it into a jar of Andis Blade Care Plus I have mainly for my hair clippers. Give it a shake to get most of the liquid off then i replace the blade back into the razor with the up side now facing down. Then back onto the stand she goes.

Then I wipe down the counter/sink before applying my beard oil.

Been doing it this way for well over a decade now.. Yeeahhh... Im a lil OCD.... o_O lol

Last edited:
No,never.I just shave with it,run it under hot water,blow on the blade gaps and simply hang it from its stand.
When I change blades,every Saturday morning, I simply give it a good whipe so as to remove any accumulated water salts.

I pretty much do the same thing.

Hi,

No. Never have. Never will. For 40 years now, myself. And, since most of my razors were from my Dad or my Granddads, and they didn't either, my 40 years only makes for a fraction of the razors lifetimes.

I just loosen the head, rinse, shake the remainder out, and re-snug the head. Same thing with TTOs.

The key to the threads is: do not tighten. Just snug. Don't overload the threads.

Stan

Yeah, I do so to allow me to store the razors flat in their respective cases. Exception being when I was using the New Improved & I would keep it screwed together until I changed blades because disassembly wasn't going to make it any smaller.

I use TTOs, but when I had an EJ89 I simply rinsed it under hot water, shook it out, and towel dried before putting it away. Never saw the necessity of dismantling after each shave.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If I'm using a TTO, I might loosen the doors a little, but I don't really open them to rinse. For a two or three piece razor, I do not disassemble the razor at all until I'm ready to throw away the blade.

Yes, I do unscrew and mount it back at each shave, for a very simple reason: sometimes I had some traces of rust from leaving the blade in it.

+1. I also found rust on my blade when I just blew on it and put it away wet. Now I take out the blade, quickly wipe all the parts down with a towel and put them back dry.

Top Bottom