What's new

Why do you have a mustache?

I was looking at some old photo albums and enjoyed seeing myself at 17 with a full (albeit thin) mustache. I have had a mustache ever since...40+ years later. And then I started wondering...whatever possessed me to grow a mustache? I must have thought it was cool...or something along those lines. The mustache certainly was not popular at that time. Now I can't imagine being without one!

What possessed you to grow a mustache?

Last edited:
It just goes so well with the beard. I've had mine and at least something on the chin since it was just peach fuzz.

In 1993, while planning to have a child, my wife and I went backpacking in India for three weeks. At that time, I grew a full beard. Still had it when my daughter was born, and still had it a few years later when I thought maybe I'd go back to clean-shaven. But somehow my child extracted a promise from me that I wouldn't shave off all my facial hair until she said it was alright -- that has yet to occur.

I have been down to moustache/goatee for a decade or so.

----------
Spike

[50th Post!]

Last edited:
I have a mole just above my upper lip that would always get cut and bleed profusely when I first began shaving. I've worn a moustache for 40 years now and have only shaved it prior to sinus surgeries.

I look funny with a goatee and no mustache and I look funny with a mustache and now goatee and my wife insists that I should have a goatee(ironically up until about a month ago I had an epic goatee that could be braided until I shaved my whole face and started over)

I think it may have been a combination of my father's having one until I was seven or eight and his reading us Hercule Poirot mysteries.
Handlebars add panache and savoir faire.

Even at 23, I was very baby faced and looked younger than my age. Plus I always liked the look. I started growing it in September 1981, took it off for a day or two a month later and a total of two to three days since. When I met my wife in March 1982 I had it, cut it off one Sunday morning in about 1985 or so as she had never seen me without it except for photos. She immediately said "grow it back", and I have had it ever since. So except for 3 maybe 4 days I have had it since September 1981. Which is when I start the count.

I'm not sure when and why I grew the first one, but I've had one for most of the last 25 years...
I shaved it off once and my girlfriend at the time told me to grow it back because I have "thin, cruel lips" and it hides them.

I was looking at some old photo albums and enjoyed seeing myself at 17 with a full (albeit thin) mustache. I have had a mustache ever since...40+ years later. And then I started wondering...whatever possessed me to grow a mustache? I must have thought it was cool...or something along those lines. The mustache certainly was not popular at that time. Now I can't imagine being without one!

it just grew and I have never shaved it and same I would look funny now without it now 53

I really can't answer that question. It just sort of showed up on my face one day when I was 15 or 16. I carried that thing along with his brother, a goatee, around with me until about a year ago.

I can tell you why I got rid of it. I am 47. My father is 76 and has almost no gray hair. I , on the other hand, have some S&P going on on my head as well as my beard. My mustache is mentally retarded though. The left half is predominantly black and the right half is predominantly gray. It's the stupidest thing I ever saw. How many here had a mustache and/or goatee that hadn't been shaved in 30 years and then started shaving it off using a piece of crap Mach 3 ????? Well, I got that sorted out now, but the cost was some sort of disease where I spend hours every day searching the internet for vintage razors, even though I already have about 10 of them.

Power went out during the blizzard of 1978 and I couldn't use my electric razor for 5 days. By then it became pointless to shave.

A couple years ago decided to try growing a beard because no one in my family can. It grew out decently, the mustache came with it. Now when im not feeling lazy, it gets waxed and a handlebar to go along with my beard.

I've shaved it off very briefly a few times but I've had a mustache since I turned 21. I've had chin whiskers since I was in my 30's.

Top Bottom