What's new

What kind of bakyard targets have you got set up?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If I'm ever able to shoot on my own property I'll need something to shoot at. So what are y'all shooting at?

Also I'm thinking perhaps I should be shooting at something that doesn't allow the bullet to pass through. For example a couple bales of hay with steel plate behind it.
So what suggestions do you got for stopping bullets for target practice?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I usually just use dirt, and trees, as a backstop. But I don't shoot a lot of rounds like at a regular range. I get an angle of fire where I'm higher than the target and the rounds will hit the ground behind the target. And...very important...there is nothing behind the target for a LONG ways.

proxy.php

That two bales of hay deep, along with the steel plate behind it, sounds interesting. Just make sure it's high enough...two or three bales high?...so any unintentional stray shots won't go where you don't want them to go.

Just depends on where you live and what the environment is.

As a certified half-asser, this is not something I'd half-***. Just pile up a proper berm with plenty of dirt. Actual recommendations for height and depth are easily googled. I can't imagine a decent sized backstop with all that steel (presumably heavy stuff rated for this job) would be cheap or fun to build, so instead use that money to rent a backhoe and enjoy a couple easy hours of using the machine.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
+1 on dirt. Hay bale/steel plate can equal fire, with some ammo/calibers.

AA

Eeek. Did not consider the possibility of a fire. Well, that's out of the question now. The dirt is what I see most often

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm thinking these are my options. I would only be shooting .22 rifle and handguns. up to .45lc

proxy.php

proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Dirt is the word. Lots of it. Hay is for arrows and horses. That being said, I will occasionally use a small metal bullet trap for subsonic .22LR only. It is placed with a large tree trunk behind it and lots of woods beyond that. And I'm only shooting from the bench or prone with precision, small chance of a stray shot. Nothing off hand.

If I'm ever able to shoot on my own property I'll need something to shoot at. So what are y'all shooting at?

Also I'm thinking perhaps I should be shooting at something that doesn't allow the bullet to pass through. For example a couple bales of hay with steel plate behind it.
So what suggestions do you got for stopping bullets for target practice?

i would think twice about hay bales and steel plate. While that would be ok for .22lr and most handgun rounds, speaking from experience please do not trust to stop center fire rounds.

My ex brother in law thought of this about 20 years ago and set up a large round bale with a big piece of 1/2 inch boiler plate leaned up against it. FMJ from 7.62x39 penetrated over four feet of tightly packed hay as well as the steel plate. He wanted to try my .458 Win magnum and a 400 gr Barnes solis copper hollow point penetrated all and. Transferred the engraving pattern of my rifle into the hole it made in the steel plate.

Best east thing is to get several feet of good old fashioned dirt.

I have rimfire silhouette swingers for both rifle and pistol at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. They are set up all the time. I have centerfire gongs of various sizes at 100 and 150.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Our setup for annual May "Friends and Family" shoot! Usually 10-12 attendees, all ages and genders!
View attachment 687822

I want that in my backyard!

Unfortunately where I'll be setting up has structures beyond my target area. Roughly 300 yards I'd estimate, maybe more.

So I need a solid backdrop to shoot at.

Backyard targets?

This is the yard plinking range. 22's, revolvers and lead reloads mostly. They just fall in the gravel.
proxy.php

The 100 yard range.
proxy.php

I do like shooting 357 reloads to hit a 24 inch square of scrap steel at the stump 100 yards down range. 95 anyway.

This is 200, 319 and 400 from left to right.

proxy.php

I'm blessed with super shooting 15ft from my safe.

I think the first of your two ideas is the better one. After a bit of time outdoors, unless you are using railroad ties, wood will degrade and not want to stop a stray .45lc. The more dirt the better.

I have a target stand that I saw elsewhere on the web. I can't find the link so I can't give credit where it is due. It is just a couple of 2x4's and 2 1x2's. It's easy to make, breaks down to move, and isn't heavy. I also have a couple of steel targets.
I'm lucky to have a hill next to the house for a backstop.

$hill1.JPG$IMG_0964d.JPG$IMG_0965a.JPG$IMG_0966b.JPG

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Bumping this again for some ideas. My neighbor has a bunch of dirt and a bobcat. So I really just need something for a backdrop. Railroad ties would be perfect but not sure where to find them.

Anyone know the height and width that would be good for pistol rounds?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
He’s also got dump truck beds. If he could drag one of those over and toss some dirt in it I think that would be the ticket.

Top Bottom