What's new

Welsh Rarebit Day

Now THIS is awesome!!

We got the ingredients a few weeks ago, and I finally had the desire and opportunity to make some tonight. My phone just died, so I'll post the picture tomorrow. Even my wife, who usually tries a single bite of my experiments, seemed to genuinely enjoy it. She ate a whole slice!

Of course, I didn't realize we were out of butter, or that we had mustard powder in the spice cabinet.

I used

2 tsp dijon mustard
6 tbsp Boatswain Chocolate Stout (Only stout I could find ANYWHERE available as only a single bottle)
45 grams Olive Oil (substituting for 60 grams of butter... ended up a little oily, but not so bad.)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire (was supposed to use 2, but forgot I was doubling my recipe)
302 grams of an English Cheddar I found at Trader Joes
2 egg yolks
Sourdough bread from Trader Joes

I used the recipe from this site posted earlier in the thread. Because I wanted to make more than 2 pieces of toast, I roughly doubled it. It ended up making enough for about 8-10 pieces of toast!

My 6 year old son enthusiastically helped me! But he's not much of a cheese eater (weird-o!) and is a super picky eater, so he passed. 3 pieces for me, 2 for SWMBO (who is studying for an important career building exam tomorrow... some Medical Staff somesuch). While my son is super picky, I was impressed that he willingly tasted each of the ingredients except the cheese and egg yolks (he only got a wet fingertip's worth of the stout!)

This was a really fun experiment that WILL be repeated! I REALLY liked the stout in it, and I've only recented learned to enjoy beer, so I'm a little bit confused as to what I'm supposed to do with all the leftover. It's a whole pint, and there's no way I'll finish the whole thing (not for lack of trying though)!!

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Now THIS is awesome!!

We got the ingredients a few weeks ago, and I finally had the desire and opportunity to make some tonight. My phone just died, so I'll post the picture tomorrow. Even my wife, who usually tries a single bite of my experiments, seemed to genuinely enjoy it. She ate a whole slice!

Of course, I didn't realize we were out of butter, or that we had mustard powder in the spice cabinet.

I used

2 tsp dijon mustard
6 tbsp Boatswain Chocolate Stout (Only stout I could find ANYWHERE available as only a single bottle)
45 grams Olive Oil (substituting for 60 grams of butter... ended up a little oily, but not so bad.)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire (was supposed to use 2, but forgot I was doubling my recipe)
302 grams of an English Cheddar I found at Trader Joes
2 egg yolks
Sourdough bread from Trader Joes

I used the recipe from this site posted earlier in the thread. Because I wanted to make more than 2 pieces of toast, I roughly doubled it. It ended up making enough for about 8-10 pieces of toast!

My 6 year old son enthusiastically helped me! But he's not much of a cheese eater (weird-o!) and is a super picky eater, so he passed. 3 pieces for me, 2 for SWMBO (who is studying for an important career building exam tomorrow... some Medical Staff somesuch). While my son is super picky, I was impressed that he willingly tasted each of the ingredients except the cheese and egg yolks (he only got a wet fingertip's worth of the stout!)

This was a really fun experiment that WILL be repeated! I REALLY liked the stout in it, and I've only recented learned to enjoy beer, so I'm a little bit confused as to what I'm supposed to do with all the leftover. It's a whole pint, and there's no way I'll finish the whole thing (not for lack of trying though)!!

That is so cool! :thumbup1:

I did really like the Welsh Rarebit with the stout, but I decided next time I make it I'm going to try finding a really pretty gold or amber beer that taste good to see if I can make the Welsh Rarebit prettier to look at. I have a store near me that lets you sample their beers. :w00t:

That is so cool! :thumbup1:

I did really like the Welsh Rarebit with the stout, but I decided next time I make it I'm going to try finding a really pretty gold or amber beer that taste good to see if I can make the Welsh Rarebit prettier to look at. I have a store near me that lets you sample their beers. :w00t:

Can you find Abita Amber up where you are? It's made by a Louisiana brewer, and is the first beer I tried that I actually enjoyed.

I'll have to check that out when I get back from my Texas trip.

You can plug your zip code in here and find the closest available Abita!

In various cities around Michigan, it looks like Abita can be found in World Market, Whole Foods, and other groceries! I guess our homegrown brew has grown a lot recently. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Can you find Abita Amber up where you are? It's made by a Louisiana brewer, and is the first beer I tried that I actually enjoyed.

+1 on Abita. Had it on a road trip with my dad and son. Very tasty.

I REALLY liked the stout in it, and I've only recented learned to enjoy beer, so I'm a little bit confused as to what I'm supposed to do with all the leftover. It's a whole pint, and there's no way I'll finish the whole thing (not for lack of trying though)!!

You could just muscle through it. :a54: As a beer lover, it is hard to imagine not enjoying beer, or having to learn to enjoy beer. I have loved it since the first cool guzzle hit the back of my throat. Ah, so many beers ago... One thing you can do with beer that you aren't going to drink is use it in sauces, soups or marinades. It'll last for a while in the fridge and though it might become a bit flat to drink, you won't notice any flavor issues if used in a recipe. A quick search of the interwebs yielded this -

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2...ark-beer-to-reduce-carcinogens-from-grilling/

As to the Rarebit, my mom said she used to make it, but I don't remember anything besides grilled cheese, so I think she was remembering her own childhood or another life, maybe. I have a recipe that I have eyeballed for a while, but now I'm inspired. I've got the ingredients and I'm going to go for it. I'll post some pics when done.

Top Bottom