What's new

1 stone question & 1 hone question

The stone question:
Even after flattening, my new Norton 4k/8k's 8K side feels coarser at the very corners than the rest of the surface. Is that normal, and if not, how do I fix it? More lapping?

The honing question:
While waiting for a good, honed razor to arrive in the mail, I am practicing my honing technique on an inexpensive razor available locally. I did test it and it was not close to sharp enough to shave with. After some honing, the side of the blade that gets honed when I push the razor away from me has an even edge, but on the other side, the polished part of the edge is thinner at the ends of the blade. In the middle of the blade, the polished metal curves up higher on the blade, closer to the spine. What does this say about my honing technique? (In more detail than it's lousy?

As always, gentlemen, my thanks.

Ben

It could be honing technique or the razor's grind might be a little off. Are you using an X-stoke?

I've never seen a razor with equal wear on the spine.

Many razors do not have equal bevel width all along the edge. Nothing to worry about as long as the bevels on both sides go all the way out to the edge. Marker and TNT it. If it passes those tests than you're O.K.

I have no idea about the Norton.

If the bevel is larger in certain places it means you are putting more pressure at those places causing more wear unless the blade is warped. If the razor sits flat on the hone with no wobble its not warped. Uneven bevels unless they get extreme are not a problem. Some guys get really anal about this and demand a perfect bevel.

The stone question:
Even after flattening, my new Norton 4k/8k's 8K side feels coarser at the very corners than the rest of the surface. Is that normal, and if not, how do I fix it? More lapping?

I had the same problem after the initial flattening of my new norton 4k/8k on both sides. Could the problem be that the norton initially is too thick in the middle? Or that the slurry works more in the center than the corners when lapping?
Anyway after honing my first razor (wapi) it gave me a nice shave, so I don't see it as a big problem. As long as you use the x-pattern.

I've not spent many hours honing yet, so I could be wrong. If I'm wrong I'm all ears.

Brian

Top Bottom