What's new

"Shave Secret" for oil pass?

I know the use of Shave Secret for an oil pass has been discussed before, but I'd like to offer my observation after two uses. Using three to five drops as recommended, massaged into my remaining wet stubble for a final oil pass, I find that my SS with a Derby sort of drags. I'm certainly no lather meister, but lather I make with soaps is much slicker. A lot of guys say that their razor just glides along when using Shave Secret. I feel resistance, not from my remaining stubble, but the Shave Secret seems a little sticky or greasy. Adding more water doesn't help. Neither does trying to lather over it. The stuff just doesn't seem to be as slick as I was expecting. It's so tempting to bear down, but I don't want to risk irritation. Maybe Shave Secret offers more of a protective cushion? Well, it was cheap at Wal-Mart, so I'm not out much. I do like the scent though.

-Clarke

I don't care for oil at all...Prorasso Pre is an awesome prep. I find it keeps the lather nice and slick. I even use it between passes. No drag, no irritation.

As always...YMMV

Regards,

I hadn't used oil before, and thought that maybe a very thin application of oil, as a final pass, would make it easier to find and remove the remaining stubble I have. I'd read about doing this before, and although my lather is slick, I thought maybe, if Shave Secret is as slick as some people say, those trouble spots would be easier to shave. I made my normal lather for my regular passes, and tried the oil for a final touch up. Disappointing. Kind of reminded of the difference in viscosity between STP and regular oil. Well, maybe that is a little exaggerated, but you get the idea.

-Clarke

I'm interested in Prorasso Prep. How (& how much) do you apply? Have you tried it as a moisturizer after shaving?

Just rub a dime size dollop into your wet beard and give it about 30 secs to do it's thing. I often use it between passes as well. It also works very well for an AS treatment.

Regards,

Thanks for the tip Smoke! I'm a newbie, just getting my arsenal together. Got the C&E brush. Will try Proraso for my first DE shave. I'm considering a long handle Merkur Classic as my first razor. I have large hands, and shave my head daily. I'm wondering if a standard model or an HD would be more appropriate. I like the heft of a heavier razor, but again have zero experience with any DE razors. What do you think?

As a noob, I highly recommend a lighter razor..you will find this much easier to avoid any pressure, especially on the neck. If your dead set on a Merkur, I would get one of the traditional models. Of course, I always recommend a Gillette SS or TECH for newbies.
I also shave my head daily. I have to admit I use the Merkur 39c BP Slant for this. One awesome melon shaver!! Please invest in the prorasso Pre shave, a great compliment to the prorasso cream, or any other cream/soap for that matter.

Regards,

As a noob, I highly recommend a lighter razor..you will find this much easier to avoid any pressure, especially on the neck. If your dead set on a Merkur, I would get one of the traditional models. Of course, I always recommend a Gillette SS or TECH for newbies.
I also shave my head daily. I have to admit I use the Merkur 39c BP Slant for this. One awesome melon shaver!! Please invest in the prorasso Pre shave, a great compliment to the prorasso cream, or any other cream/soap for that matter.

Regards,
I'll actually recommend the opposite. A razor with a bit of weight (at least a SS, tech are just too light to me, maybe with heavier handle) actually helps to make sure that the new shaver doesn't bear down. Lots of people say "let the weight of the razor pull it down."

If there's not enough weight to feel it, people tend to press and draw.

Wow, you dug up a 5 year old thread to tell us that?!:confused1

I occasionally use SS as a PSO myself, but lately I've been forgoing it and can't tell any difference. YMMV...

It's fun sometimes to look at the oldest threads and see if you can somehow add a relevant comment to it.

But yeah, I've used Shave Secret before and it works quite well!

I've had zero success with Shave Secret. I usually shave every other day, and when I apply 3-5 drops to my face and neck, it quickly gets absorbed into the beard itself. If I try to add more than 3-5, then it clogs up the razor, and I get even more nicks and cuts than I do without it. The razor tugs on the hairs no matter what.

Had similar results with Proraso Pre (for sensitive skin) - The blade moves much smoother across the skin, but it doesn't prevent any kinds of nicks or cuts. I also think there's some ingredient in it which numbs the skin which gives you the illusion that you're not getting any irritation from shaving.

All these pre-post products sound like a bunch of snake oil, which you could most likely supplement with regular cooking oil, and get the same results.

Top Bottom