What's new

Proraso pre shave cream...?

Just to confuse you (and show that YMMV makes life sometimes (often) difficult) [MENTION=112020]Jonno7452[/MENTION] I never rinse off the preshave. Never feelt the need to do so. I don't apply much preshave, i make sure that the preshave dries into the skin, this happend within a few minutes. Just ask (or watch a woman apply cosmetics on her skin) You will soon realize that a little goes a long way :) [MENTION=111980]GoldenRogue[/MENTION] Do you have any inputs to Jonno7452?

Cheers Mach3man, any new help a appreciated [emoji1303]

I personally haven't used it so I'm not sure. But I agree it sounds like too much was used. One thing I have noticed though is that there tends to be a lot of confusion about the actual purpose of pre-shave creams and oils. Especially the oils. Only a very small amount of the product is needed. And yes, your shower is what you should be using to hydrate your hair and skin. But what the oils and creams do is lock the moisture molecules into your skin so that they take longer to evaporate out. It plumps up your skin and helps it to be more supple, making it easier for the razor to glide over. Imagine a razor glididing over a plump ripe tomato vs a wrinkly one. Actually looking at the ingredients of your pre-shave cream will also help you to understand the actual purpose of the oil/cream you have chosen. If it includes things like lavender/peppermint/tea tree oil, you know you should be more focused on massaging it into your skin and not your stubble. The essential oils aren't just there to make it mess pretty. They are actually anti bacterials and anti fungals and skin so others. So if you nick yourself shaving they help sooth irritation and protect against inflamation. Also if your pre-shave cream is super greasy and leaves your skin feeling like a pelican caught in an oil tanker spill, take a look at the ingredients. You can get great pre-shave oil that DONT do that.

I personally haven't used it so I'm not sure. But I agree it sounds like too much was used. One thing I have noticed though is that there tends to be a lot of confusion about the actual purpose of pre-shave creams and oils. Especially the oils. Only a very small amount of the product is needed. And yes, your shower is what you should be using to hydrate your hair and skin. But what the oils and creams do is lock the moisture molecules into your skin so that they take longer to evaporate out. It plumps up your skin and helps it to be more supple, making it easier for the razor to glide over. Imagine a razor glididing over a plump ripe tomato vs a wrinkly one. Actually looking at the ingredients of your pre-shave cream will also help you to understand the actual purpose of the oil/cream you have chosen. If it includes things like lavender/peppermint/tea tree oil, you know you should be more focused on massaging it into your skin and not your stubble. The essential oils aren't just there to make it mess pretty. They are actually anti bacterials and anti fungals and skin so others. So if you nick yourself shaving they help sooth irritation and protect against inflamation. Also if your pre-shave cream is super greasy and leaves your skin feeling like a pelican caught in an oil tanker spill, take a look at the ingredients. You can get great pre-shave oil that DONT do that.

Thank you Golden Rogue, that is very helpful. I thought it was about softening the hair more to make them cut easier as well as providing increased slickness to give better glide.

Thank you Golden Rogue, that is very helpful. I thought it was about softening the hair more to make them cut easier as well as providing increased slickness to give better glide.

A lot of people do. I think that's why so many people say that pre-shave cream and oils are pointless. The misinformation about why and how you use pre-shave products really do make them seem completely useless. Yes they help with slickness, yes they help with softening but it's the why and how they do those things that show the usefulness of the products and how they are beneficial to a shave over and above a pre-shave shower and a good quality shave cream/soap.

What i find helps is when i rinse my razor i no longer swish in the sink basin full of water, rather i use running hot water first to "melt" the used cream off the razor the after its gone put the cold water on a little to cool the blade and then go again. This for me works if you like a thicker lather and the razor tends to gunk up. And also since i have a tto i open it a little so the back of the blade gets flushed under hot water before i put it away. HTHYO.

I apply a very small amount - a small pinch - onto damp skin and rub it in, then lather over that. Repeat for the second pass, then repeat for any area touchups. It doesn't seem to clog the razor more than the lather does.

I find that when I don't use it, I nick myself and get more irritation. I cut myself without noticing it the other day, and realized I had probably done it on the touchup pass, for which I'd only applied lather. This is hardly a scientific standard, of course.

Top Bottom