What's new

Proraso pre shave cream...?

I've been using proraso pre shave cream since returning to DE shaving, trying to give myself the best possible chance at success. I love how it feels on my face, but...

This stuff seems to super gunk up my 34c. I saw another thread where most of you said you lathered over it, so I'm curious...do you have gunk issues? Is there anything to be done? This last shave I had to loosen my de mid shave to wash it out.

Thoughts?

((Typed on phone...please excuse errors))

I haven't used the stuff myself, I'd be interested to hear though. Maybe rinse off after it sits for a few (not all, just the majority) and shave over what's left. It may be a dilute the problem away type of solution?

I don't have any issues with it gunking up my 34c. I use maybe an almond size dollop and really rub it in my beard, going mostly ATG.

I lather over it when I use it. However I like a very sloppy lather as I feel it makes the blade slide better for me. Maybe try using a bit more water? Mostly I have switched to noxema instead as I like the clean feel and smell.

I lather over it when I use it. However I like a very sloppy lather as I feel it makes the blade slide better for me. Maybe try using a bit more water? Mostly I have switched to noxema instead as I like the clean feel and smell.
This

I use Proraso preshave cream as part of my prep. I shower, splash some water on my stubble, rub in an almond size glob of preshave cream in my whiskers, then I hold a warm, wet facecloth over my stubble for about a minute (enjoy the warmth and the scent), then I face lather with my soap. There is very little of the cream that remains after you remove the facecloth if you use this approach. I find it is the best preshave routine for me. And it doesn't clog my DE.

Remember to go easy on the Proraso preshave. A little goes a long way. I usually wet my face with warm water before applying the preshave and just rub it in. No problem with clogging

I have read about folks having clogging issues, but I have never had any myself. How much are putting on? I usually use about an almond worth and rub it on my moistened face with moistened hands.

Yeah, those experience clogging of razor have used far too much product. Did you guys listen to the fellow here telling he was a first timer user of the precream and used it regular shavingcream. He got an excellent shave with the Proraso precream :)

I've never had clogging problems from Proraso Preshave with any razor. Could your lather be a bit thick and pasty?

It appears I'm simply using too much. I'm a more is better kind of guy, unless I'm told or learn otherwise. I'll use less or wipe off excess before I lather up next time. Thanks for all the input.

I have more experience lathering because I've been doing that for years even when I was using my mach 3, so I don't think that's the issue. I won't rule anything out, but the lather would be low on my suspect list.

((Typed on phone...please excuse errors))

It's not really a lubricant, but rather helps prep the skin and soften the beard before shaving.

RJ - Chicago
Posted from my phone, please forgive typos.

im kind of confused, I know its hard to get the right amount of water in proraso shaving cream...... the lather can be good when you hit that sweet spot, but I don't see why it would need a pre shave lubricant cream.....

or any soap for that matter.

if the soap is good enough to drag a piece of sharp metal over your face, then it doesn't need any pre shave.

and if the soap isn't good enough to drag a piece of sharp metal over your face, the soap needs to be replaced quickly

I don't think the pre-shave is really about cushion/glide/slickness/protection or any of that good stuff. Its job, as far as I know, is solely to help prep the whiskers (hydrate them as much as possible, soften them up, smooth talk them, etc.)

You are obviously right in that a pre shave is not required (lots of people don't use it), but I am a gear junkie and like to play with products.

but water and soap are for the hydration.......
Different strokes for different folks. Some folks swear by it and some think it is a useless product. I don't find that the Proraso pre does much for me, but I don't mind using it. It is also a nice way to get a little menthol kick into your lather when your soap doesn't contain any.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The Proraso Pre shave cream is a product that I like but do not currently own. I used a few jars in the past but mostly used them to cool off during hot summer days. The menthol is great in there!

If I were to use it for a shave, I would rub some of the product on my face and wait a good 5 minutes. Don't go too high on your cheeks as it might burn your eyes a bit. The product will normally be absorbed by your skin. Then you lather. At least, that's how I understood the product. I prefer a hot shower for my prep. However, if I couldn't take a shower, I would probably use the pre shave cream or hot towel.

I use the sandalwood preshave cream if I have not had time for a good shower to add that extra moisture. I will also use it at weekends for that extra, I am worth it touch. Shower, hot towel, preshave and leave it for a couple of minutes, 3 passes , one more hot towel, Nivea Cream and a nice aftershave!

but water and soap are for the hydration.......

I understand that you don't use and are against pre shaves. Thanks for that input.

To the rest of you, I really appreciate the insight and assistance. I will be attempting less pre-shave, more time on skin, and a rinse before lathering! That should about cover it, from what I gather in this thread. :thumbup:

I've used the proraso white pre shave. I like it better for post shave. If you like it use it. Probably cut back on how much though if your razor is clogging. Enjoy.

Just to confuse you (and show that YMMV makes life sometimes (often) difficult) [MENTION=112020]Jonno7452[/MENTION] I never rinse off the preshave. Never feelt the need to do so. I don't apply much preshave, i make sure that the preshave dries into the skin, this happend within a few minutes. Just ask (or watch a woman apply cosmetics on her skin) You will soon realize that a little goes a long way :) [MENTION=111980]GoldenRogue[/MENTION] Do you have any inputs to Jonno7452?

Top Bottom