What's new

Sonnal slant

Good evening, gentlemen.

I just bought this beauty, on-line. A German Sonnal slant, in a fairly good shape, in its original cardboard box. I was not the only bidder and I went up to US$59 (plus US$10 for shipping). I was the highest bidder.
Anyone here have experience with the slant Sonnal? Did I pay a fair price?
Thank you.
$$_57 (1).jpg
$$_57 (2).jpg
$$_57.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Differential head, where one side is more aggressive than the other -- those are nice but not the most forgiving. Do be careful.

Congrats on the score, it's a nice piece!

I saw that but didn't bid on it since I knew nothing about it. Look forward to hearing what you think of it!

Hi,

The head is a Generic Solingen Differential Slant head. They were used by dozens of razor makers, such as Apollo and Lutz for a couple more names. Some makers put their logos and names on the handles. Some didn't and were happy with their boxes only.

The side of the head with the coarse scallops on the safety bar is the aggressive side. The side with the fine scallops, the mild side.

I find that I get the best results from using the mild side WTG first, then use the aggressive side ATG for a very nice DFS without irritation.

Stan

Interesting razor! I have no experience with this one. Please write a review once you have used it!

Hi,

The head is a Generic Solingen Differential Slant head. They were used by dozens of razor makers, such as Apollo and Lutz for a couple more names. Some makers put their logos and names on the handles. Some didn't and were happy with their boxes only.

The side of the head with the coarse scallops on the safety bar is the aggressive side. The side with the fine scallops, the mild side.

I find that I get the best results from using the mild side WTG first, then use the aggressive side ATG for a very nice DFS without irritation.

Stan
I do it the other way around: first pass aggressive, second mild. Got this same razor, same box. Judging frm the pictures, the OP has a rather nice example of this razor.
Indeed used by a great many razorbrands, but I've never seen this head on an Apollo: Apollo/Ben Hur actually made their own version(s) of the slant.

I once had a Sonnal travel set. Sold it here to a gentleman but cant rember who it was. My razor was a slant three piece bakelite razor.
Sold it for $50! Crazu huh?? :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom