What's new

Feather AC DX.simply amazing!

There has always been something about a straight razor which has called to me. I remember being a young child, locked in the bathroom, shaving with a butter knife. I thought I was a total bad ***. Fast forward many years and I stumbled here to B&B and finally got into wet shaving. DE was great but I was still missing something, that was until I bought my first straight. I'm an active duty soldier so I don't have time, especially while away, to go through the process of maintaining a straight so I bought a feather AC DX.

The first shave I had with is went really well, I did only a single pass and actually got a great shave, far from BBS but it was good.

My second shave was a bit of a mess. I did two passes and got a good shave but I ended up with a few weepers and really bad razor burn.

I went back to my DE for a few days a did some more reading. Turns out I have been using the wrong angle. As suggested a good angle to start is to keep the spine of the razor away from your face equal to the thickness of the spine. Sounds logical, but with the feather the spine is already twice the width of a true straight.

Here we are today, shave three. All I can say is that this razor is incredible. I went through my regular prep and got down to business. This time I laid the razor flat against my face and kept it there if only ever so slightly away and the results were amazing. The shave was effortless and smooth as can be. It was a BBS shave other than my lower neck which was a DFS, so instead of pushing my luck I cleaned up with my DE. No irritation at all and no weepers, just a great shave.

The feather will definitely be my go to razor when I have a little extra time. I am definitely hooked and will be looking in the not so distant future for a true straight which I can use during the weekends as well as the holidays. Thank you to all of the B&B members who have made wonderful contributions to this forum as without you wisdom and support I would probably still be using an electric.

Cheers!

Congrats! The DX is a great razor that provides excellent shaves. It is also the edge of the rabbit hole. Lol. I started with a FeatherSS

Not sure which blades you're using, but the pro guards are great to start(more forgiving).

Last edited:
That is great to hear your sucess. I did not start traditional Shaving till I retired. However I think an AC will be a good option for you. It will fix the problem of trying to rinse off your razor in a bowl of lukewarm water. When I first got in we were still using the steel helmets and Shaving in them with the liner removed. A DE would be good for the field if you found one with some travel cover for the head.

The Feather Artist Club razors are great! In my experience, it's a nice meditative way to start the day and having a feeling of accomplishment of giving myself a nice irritation-free shave using something so sharp without a 'safety net'. Enjoy the simple things :001_smile

Take it slow, the Feather blades don't tolerate sloppy technique. As mentioned by Jim, the Proguard blades provide a bit of a safety net while you perfect your technique.

Arjen

That is great to hear your sucess. I did not start traditional Shaving till I retired. However I think an AC will be a good option for you. It will fix the problem of trying to rinse off your razor in a bowl of lukewarm water. When I first got in we were still using the steel helmets and Shaving in them with the liner removed. A DE would be good for the field if you found one with some travel cover for the head.

Luckily the the days of shaving in the field are gone for me. There are still times when I have to shave from a pot and the double edge works perfectly for that. A great shave and toss the blade, no need to worry about tossing an expensive cart and hygiene is a non issue. I remember the steel shells and liner days, although I don't think I really had enough hair to shave in those days. How times have changed.

Top Bottom