What's new

A Bengall deluxe?

Legion

Staff member
As most of us know, Cadman Bengall razors are almost always solid shavers. Good steel, well ground. I have had over a dozen of them, and I have never had a dud.

But, one could say they usually look kind of... boring. Good shavers they are, fancy they are usually not.

Which is why I had to snap this one up when I saw it. Shoulderless, Spanish point, nice ivory scales.. It is the swishiest Bengall I have ever seen. I didn't even know TR Cadman had a Deluxe range. And this example has zero hone wear, to boot.

I think this will become my go to razor for a while.

proxy.php

I picked up a round point 5/8 - 11/16 Bengall last week at a local market. It as the same engraving on the blade and is in the same condition (looks to have never been used). Unfortunately it's got the black plastic scales with the gold writing. It must be the week for finding nice Bengalls.

This is it pre hand polish. The blade had a film of what looked like old oil on it. It easily polished off though.

$thumbnail_unspecified77.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Yeah, almost all of my Bengalls have had scales like that, or the whitish version. I have seen various different etchings, and different sized blades. But this is the first Spanish point, shoulderless, ivory version.

I wish I could track down an old catalogue to see what was available back in the day.

Legion

Staff member
Nice. After a quick Google search I have only been able to find one similar. Does it have gold in the etching?

Very nice score David!
I love my Bengall....its one of the best razors i have and holds an edge like no other in my collection. Its actually my go to razor in my road kit that comes with me every week!

As for how fancy....mine has Bengall etched in gold on the blade. :)

Now that is one classy looking razor, elegant and understated but definitely not pedestrian. Congrats on a great find.

Bob

Beautiful razor.
I own around 25 ivories and have worked on or rescaled maybe 3 X's that number and none have had ivory that pure white unless it was new. It may be the photo /lighting or whatever but Ivory razors of any age are generally warmer looking. To get that look I have to "age" new Ivory to get it looking correct. Otherwise the stark white is a give away .

Legion

Staff member
Beautiful razor.
I own around 25 ivories and have worked on or rescaled maybe 3 X's that number and none have had ivory that pure white unless it was new. It may be the photo /lighting or whatever but Ivory razors of any age are generally warmer looking. To get that look I have to "age" new Ivory to get it looking correct. Otherwise the stark white is a give away .

ivory yellows due to a combination of handling and light exposure. I have a Klas Tornblom with NOS scales that are even whiter than these. They were cut back whenever, but spent their life in a dark box somewhere in Sweden, so they are still pearly like new. Judging buy the total lack of wear on this Bengall blade, I suspect it too has barely seen the light of day since the 30's, or thereabouts.

Top Bottom