What's new

What should be my second DE razor ?

Okay Boys ..... Just about four weeks into my new wet shaving hobby, and really loving it all ! Merkur 34C is my first and only DE razor. Using a Simpson's Colonel X2L with creams (alternating between Proraso Green tube and five different flavors of Taylor Old Bond Street) and a Semogue 610 with Proraso Green soap .... strictly face lathering. Have tried Derby, Crystal. Israeli Red Personna, Astra SP, and just now, my first shave with PolSilver. As my technique is steadily improving, no more nicks and cuts, and minimal irritation. Really happy with the Israeli blades and the PolSilver. Astra SP doesn't seem smooth enough for me, and the Derby was pretty poor (although the Derby was used for my first three ever DE shaves, so I'll try them again.) Still have yet to try Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Silver Blue, Voskhod, and Feather (all of which I have 5 blade packs.)

So, after that introduction, ..... here's my question. Many of you gentlemen discuss certain blades working better with different razors, and most of you have several different razors. Which razor should I buy next ? One of the EJ DE 89's ? a Muhle R89 ?, a slant bar (Merkur 37C or 39C) ? I'd like to try something else to compare to my Merkur 34C. Perhaps use the Merkur as my razor for daily shaving with a medium blade, and something different with a sharper blade for those times when I skip a day and have a two day growth. I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas. Thanks a lot, and Happy Shaving !

Last edited:
So many options. The EJ DE89 is probably the most similar razor to your Merkur 34c. I have a Merkur 37c and love the slant, but I also love the adjustable Gillette's. Do what I did--collect everything you find and try them all. Only then will you know what you really like best.

I wouldn't get the EJ DE89 - from what I can tell, it'll be really similar to what you have. I'd go slant (just tried the 37c, very nice but not my cup of tea), OC (any of the OLD or NEW gillette's if your into vintage, I've heard good things about the RazoRock Old Type if you want new only), or The vintage gillettes (or Schick). My #1 recommendation would be a Red tip Super speed. It's got really nice weight, size, and aggression (not very).

I'm not impressed with the EJ DE89. I find it inferior to a Tech in everything but appearance, and it is similar to your current razor. Go with something fun, like a slant.

I moved from a 34c to an Ikon X3 slant. Love that razor. Cuts a little more aggressively Wich I like. Also got a Fat boy and enjoying it too.
PAA double open comb is another good shaver for me. Good luck :001_smile

The Gillette Vintage Superspeed is an awesome second razor. Shaves fantastic! Just make sure you tighten the TTO mechanism to where the blade is tight! A loose blade will getcha! I found that out today.

Vintage Gillette Slim. It's the only razor I have that isn't an EJ clone and the shave is fantastic. I simply can't get as good of a shave with my EJ. In fact, I don't think I could get a better shave with anything else. My EJ is still my daily driver, but when I skip a day or just want a really close shave, the Slim delivers.

I have the 34c and have REALLY enjoyed my Gold Fat Handled Tech as well as my British Rocket...and my 46-47 Aristocrat.
Go for the vintage, you will love it. I just got a Slim so I do not have an opinion. Although many others have said it is a fantastic razor.

I'm 2 months into DE shaving with a Merkur 34c, love the feather blades so I splurged and got a Feather AS-D2. Just had the first shave and love the new razor. I always found the 34c a little short, AS-D2 is a little longer and also heavier. I'm going to need some time to get used to it as the angle you need is different that the 34c.

I was amazed at the quality of shave I got from my Gillette tech - the BBS found me right away.

If you don't want to go vintage, try the Fatip Piccolo. A beautiful modern OC razor in nickel-plated brass.

Vintage Gillette Tech or a Gillette Adjustable. If you can get your hands on a long-handled Gillette Adjustable so much the better.

Another option is a Feather Popular - this is the cheap TTO (Twist to open/butterfly) razor made by Feather who make the renowned blades and AS-D2 razor. Don't be fooled by the fact that this is a cheap razor it's just as well-designed and well-engineered as it's far more expensive counterparts. It's a good travel razor and I know quite a few people for whom it has become their daily shaver. I find it works best with Feather blades with Astra blades coming a close and far less expensive second.

If you ask 101 different DE shavers, you'll probably get 101 different answers
My 2c worth - it's probably a good idea to get a new razor before trying a vintage, because when you get into vintage razors, it's very easy to get bitten by the RAD bug, and before you know it you'll be propping your eyelids open with matchsticks and scouring all the online auction sites at Silly O'Clock in the morning !!
If you use a 3-piece, a TTO would be a good choice of 2nd razor
IMHO you can't go far wrong with a Weishi 9306 as a choice of TTO
They're well made from solid brass, are available in a wide choice of finishes including gold, bronze, chrome and black pearl (gunmetal), and are available in 2 different lengths.
You can also take your pick for less than $10 delivered
My 9306CL is my choice of razor when I want an easy, no hassle shave on autopilot.
The long handle and Black Pearl finish look cool too
View attachment 685020

Top Bottom