What's new

Strongly disagree with 'Do not wipe blade'

Most blades are marked with this warning but I don't understand the reasoning behind it. I once thought it was a 'duhhh' label, intended to reduce accidents but then the old ads would say something like, 'no need to wipe blade, just rinse' which makes me think it's more about retaining the quality of the edge. So... here's where that sentiment breaks down in my routine:

If I remove a blade, rinse it and allow it to dry between the folds of a barber towel, it lasts about 2 shaves. If I strop it on my palm a few times before doing that, I get many many shaves out of it. However, if I simply rinse my razor, shake it out and blow it out real good, then lay it down to air out, the blade becomes worthless in a matter of hours. I've tested all my blades and the results are consistent.

Is this caused by hard water? Is the warning even related to corrosion? I suppose I should just keep doing what I'm doing if it works for me, ha?

I pay no attention to the warning, but I've always been a rule breaker.:wink2:

I usually remove the blade after the shave rinse it, wipe it with my finger if it isn't coming off fast enough, let it dry on the counter for a few min. ,flip it, and return it to the razor or put it in a different razor. I get between 10 and 30+ shaves out of a blade. My shaves consist of head, cheeks, and neck.

The one time I tried wiping a blade, I ended up just spreading the glue everywhere and making a mess. Now I just rise it in water and put it in my DE. After a shave, I leave the blade in the razor and just rinse it under water. I get about 3-4 shaves per blade but I never really pushed a blade to its limits since I don't see the point when they're so inexpensive.

I'll dry the blade, but that's it. All I want is three shaves per blade, so I don't see the point of stropping something so cheap.

It seems unlikely I've never read the warning, it must be one of things my brain just ignores without the need for conscious rejection. Next time I grab a pack of blades I'll be sure to consciously ignore it.

I guess I am just a rules breaker. I not only wipe my blades, but also strop them either on my palm or on denim and I have tried honing them with a glass and with an antique DE honing stone.

I like experimenting with my blades and trying to push them as far as I can make them go without sacrificing shave quality.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you have very hard water, that might have something to do with it. A quick dip in rubbing alcohol (just to get that water off) might help more than anything else, if that's the case.

I have soft water, and I just rinse, dip, and hang it up. The blade never leaves the razor until I'm done with it a good several shaves or so down the line.

The only reason that I can think of they would not want you to wipe a blade is to cover their rear from a liability perspective. Damage to the blade edge could possibly also be a reason.

I have experimented with removing, wiping and all that but the norm is just load it shave until it's no longer serviceable, then toss.

Most blades are marked with this warning but I don't understand the reasoning behind it. I once thought it was a 'duhhh' label, intended to reduce accidents but then the old ads would say something like, 'no need to wipe blade, just rinse' which makes me think it's more about retaining the quality of the edge. So... here's where that sentiment breaks down in my routine:

If I remove a blade, rinse it and allow it to dry between the folds of a barber towel, it lasts about 2 shaves. If I strop it on my palm a few times before doing that, I get many many shaves out of it. However, if I simply rinse my razor, shake it out and blow it out real good, then lay it down to air out, the blade becomes worthless in a matter of hours. I've tested all my blades and the results are consistent.

Is this caused by hard water? Is the warning even related to corrosion? I suppose I should just keep doing what I'm doing if it works for me, ha?

I have always taken the blade out and blown the water off since I started. Most times I don't strop unless I feel tugging or little pricks early on, even then I just leave it out until getting ready to shave and I get plenty of blade mileage. Even wiping off soap scum has never made the blade useless in popularity though. What blades have you tried out of curiosity?

It's not rocket science. Doak (sorry man, still want to call you Chad) has it right. I get decent blade life from just a rinse and alcohol swish, and I have hard water out here.

Besides, I'm on Plavix so the less blade handling I do, the better.

I wipe my blades zealously. $images.jpg

Because I still have 3 more.

Sometimes I'll wipe the edge between my fingers (as stated go outwards from the middle outwards and pay attention to what you're doing to avoid shaving related amputations :lol:

I just find doing that keeps the muck off the edge and gives a better quality shave next time as opposed to just a rinse.

I can see though that people on anticoagulants and with Diabetes may want to avoid risking nicks and cuts of the extremities and forgo this ritual. I may try leaving a jar of 'everclear' or 'spiritus' in the den for cleaning the blades and see how that works for me as well.

Last edited:
The only reason that I can think of they would not want you to wipe a blade is to cover their rear from a liability perspective. Damage to the blade edge could possibly also be a reason.

I have experimented with removing, wiping and all that but the norm is just load it shave until it's no longer serviceable, then toss.

Good man! :thumbup1:

I think we are told not to wipe blades because law school is expensive and its tough to pay off your school loan, your vacation home, and your Mercedes at the same time. It's lawyer talk pure and simple. That said, I think blade-drying and hand stropping are quite unnecessary and only add so much "fiddle factor" to an already time-consuming process. I use a blade three days and toss it. Could I get 4 or more? Possibly. But, I don't see any reason to have that last uncomfortable shave while trying to eke out just one more shave from a blade. I'd say if your retirement plan hinges on getting 5 shades per blade rather than 3, you've got bigger problems than blade management.

Top Bottom