What's new

Need brush suggestion,not too super expensive

So I have been using an omega boar but it's starting to shed more often. I wanted to try a badger and picked one up off amazon that said Semogue but I think it is an imitation. I am used to the stiff knot of the boar but this badger I got was pretty floppy when I was lathering, not much backbone.

I'm looking to try a nice soft badger with a really good backbone for face lathering. Preferably with some type of wood handle. Any suggestions?

You could buy or make your own wooden handle and fit it with a High Mountain knot from Larry, at Whipped Dog. It's a top performer for the money, and certainly not floppy.

Try contacting Larry at Whipped Dog. He can take you through the process of selecting a brush that meets your needs and doesn't break the bank.

The new synthetics are game-changers. The best lather, the most ease on the face, and the best apparent durability with not a single bristle lost, all comes with the Italian Barber Plissofts. I have a 24mm and a 26mm Monster. Both are excellent. Price point is $9 to $12.

I would consider either an Omega or Parker "pure" badger brush (which is a little stiffer than the other badger grades). You will spend between $25 - $40 for a decent brush. For example, Omega Pure Badger Brush model 6191 is pure badger with an ash wood handle, for $35.

Good hunting!

Mikey

@Rayzor84 this picture below will tell you a trillion stories and it call a Whipped Dog and you can thank me later :thumbup:

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I spent years and years ... ande hundreds of dollars ... exploring many badger brushes. And then I tried a boar (B&B Essential) and found, at a fraction of the badger price, the IMHO perfect mix of 'soft' and 'backbone'.

With badger, you tend to get EITHER soft OR backbone, but not both (unless you find a rare brush which is almost certainly very expensive.).

Best brushes I own were hand made in exotic woods from a retired Vietnam vet in NC. I then order finest or better grade badger knots (currently Ace Shaving via the bayz) and set them myself. Fraction the cost. Bespoke with excellent feel and quality.

I recently bought three badger knots from Frank Shaving on the big auction site. Two were Finest XD and one was Silvertip. I prefer the Finest because of the backbone. I liked these knots so well that I bought two more.

I actually like all my brushes (not that I have a lot of them). I can't say I have a favorite. I have whipped dog black badger, simpson colonel, and razorock synthetic (bruce handle). I even have a cheap marvy boar brush that was a gift from a secret pal thing we do at work...I like how it lathers (though it probably won't last long, as it is shedding a fair amount). I am considering an omega or semigouge boar brush in the future just to try.

Thanks guys, these all look great. I contacted Larry about a brush and he said he could get me a Silvertip with strong backbone yet soft. I was looking at his handles and he has some nice pottery handles with pretty cool designs and he said he is getting more next week. So I'm going to give him some measurements for my brush stand so it isn't too big yet isn't tiny in my hand. The stand is small but it's all the space I have for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom