What's new

Here's to dad .

$14203090_10207215686692146_3974050756043802584_n.jpg

Hard to believe it's been a year yesterday ...

Dad was always a Beam guy, for the most part.

But I remember a family trip to Tennessee, and our stop at the Jack Daniels distillery. I remember the tour, and dad's smile and subtle laughter when the tour guide said, "Now we'd love to give you a sample, but this is a dry county, so we can't. But iffn you see one of those barrels with a leak, you might want to consider puckering up and giving it a kiss." I remember him retelling the story to his friends and family when we got
home, and for years after.

He was an amazing father ... Which I aspire to be and often fall short of. There are days, sometimes several times throughout a given day, when I hear his words coming out of my mouth, or catch myself doing things with his mannerisms. When I catch myself I sometimes smile, sometimes laugh or just shake my head.

But that's what it's all about, isn't it? The legacy we leave, especially the legacy we leave in our kids. It should be good, and honest, and true and genuine. Their words, no matter how trivial, should resonate. The memories, even one of potentially kissing a barrel just to get a taste of Old No. 7, should linger, despite the years.

These are the gifts my dad gave me, and I'm forever grateful. I love you, and I miss you dad ... And not a day goes by when you're not on my mind. Thank you seems so inadequate.

My heart goes out to you. I also lost my dad just over a year ago. I had great closure with him, so I appreciate that. I do feel like I've lost an arm. I'll read something, or someone will tell me something and I'll think, I should ask dad about that. Then it hits me.

My dad had a gradual, but quick at the end, slide into dementia, so I struggle with the idea of closure, and he died overnight in his sleep, which creates its own sting, so I try to remember when he was more lucid.

He was an incredible role model as a father, and as I said, I know I fall short at times. My sister and I were incredibly blessed to have him.

A great parent (father or mother) is a priceless gift for us all and one that only gets more and more appreciated with time.

View attachment 684838

Hard to believe it's been a year yesterday ...

Dad was always a Beam guy, for the most part.

But I remember a family trip to Tennessee, and our stop at the Jack Daniels distillery. I remember the tour, and dad's smile and subtle laughter when the tour guide said, "Now we'd love to give you a sample, but this is a dry county, so we can't. But iffn you see one of those barrels with a leak, you might want to consider puckering up and giving it a kiss." I remember him retelling the story to his friends and family when we got
home, and for years after.

He was an amazing father ... Which I aspire to be and often fall short of. There are days, sometimes several times throughout a given day, when I hear his words coming out of my mouth, or catch myself doing things with his mannerisms. When I catch myself I sometimes smile, sometimes laugh or just shake my head.

But that's what it's all about, isn't it? The legacy we leave, especially the legacy we leave in our kids. It should be good, and honest, and true and genuine. Their words, no matter how trivial, should resonate. The memories, even one of potentially kissing a barrel just to get a taste of Old No. 7, should linger, despite the years.

These are the gifts my dad gave me, and I'm forever grateful. I love you, and I miss you dad ... And not a day goes by when you're not on my mind. Thank you seems so inadequate.
They're never really gone so long as we remember them. Here's to your dad and the wonderful memories that you've most graciously shared with us.

Top Bottom