What's new

Lesson Learned Buying Stones Online

I just wanted to take a moment and share a negative experience with everyone in hopes that they can avoid dealing with the same issue that I have had.

Here goes...

On August 15th I ordered 2 Norton Combo stones from an online site called bestsharpeningstones. The site advertised same day shipping on orders that were placed before 1pm EST and guaranteed 2-3 day shipping. As they had the best prices on the stones I promptly placed my order to the tune of 119.95. I immediately received an email stating that my payment had been accepted and my order was pending shipping.

That is exactly the state of my order as of today. On the 18th I called the customer support line and was promptly informed that I could leave a message as the person I was talking with was simply an agent at a call service. I asked that I receive an update on my order and stated that I had not received it and that the status had not changed to shipped. The person I talked to was very polite and assured me that the message would be forwarded to appropriate person.

Immediately following the call I received an email from the site stating that my order had shipped. No tracking number. Only the words "Your Order Has Shipped!". This was followed by another email from a gentleman by the name of Michael stating that my business was appreciated and giving me the tracking number for my package. Only USPS had no tracking history for the number. I let it go until the next day, but still USPS had no information about the tracking number. I called the customer support line again and inquired about the status of my order. I also replied to the email from Michael stating that I was concerned. The next day the tracking number was finally active. However the status was "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item". That is still the status of the package.

I decided to look into the site a little more and discovered many negative reviews on other forums for items that never shipped or shipped months later. I checked with the Better Business Bureau and found some thirty odd complaints to the same tune. I immediately called my bank and filed a claim on the transaction. As of last night my bank had credited my account with the full amount of the transaction. 15 days after the fact I finally got my money back.

I'm not posting this to bash an online vendor, only to share my own experience so that others may have an opportunity to consider buying from another site/vendor and hopefully avoid the same experience.

Has anyone else had any experience with this site?

Has anyone else had any experience with this site?

I have bought 5 different Arkansas stones 3 -8 X 3s and two 12 X 3s from Bestsharpening stones and had absolutely no trouble. I would easily recommend them based on my experience. As a matter of fact the first 12" SB was a free upgrade from the 8" stone because they were out of stock on the smaller one. My dealings with them were exemplary.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Glad things worked out for you and that you didn't lose money. Many times, a deal too good to be true is, and the rock bottom (sorry couldn't resist) price is not a good deal. One of my favorite vendors for stones is Chef's Knives To Go. The Perfect Edge also gets good reviews.

Cheers, Steve

I actually had looked at that site along with another when I ordered all new stones many months ago and went with another Vendor as they guy I had emailed several times with questions just said call him as it was easier and I thought that wa pretty good, my stones cames from https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/ and they came very very fast, glad things worked out for you.

I've made several purchases with them over the years with no issues. sorry to hear you didn't. I'd be equally displeased with the level and quality of customer service you got.

Sorry to hear your experience. Glad you got your money back. I think a lot of smaller vendors do not have automated inventory tracking so often you can order something that they do not have in stock. However that does not excuse them from letting you know this right after placing your order. Some of the best vendors I deal with do not charge you until the order is ready to ship so you don't pay for backorders till it's ready to go. I feel this is a good system.

Top Bottom