What's new

Newbie looking for Razor guidence

Hello all;

I hope this is the right place for this thread and if not, please feel free to relocate it.

I am starting to research into DE razors and planning make the switch over and am a little overwhelmed by the number of different razors that are out there (forget about the blade choices). From what I have read Merkur and Edwin Jagger both make a great "starter" razor, but I have also come across "house brands" from the likes of Fendrihan and Razorock and have no idea how they compare to the name brands.

I guess I am open to any opinions, guidance and even suggestions for things I may have not yet noticed.

Thank you all
David

Hi David, I am a strictly vintage user. I'd suggest that you go that route. The old Gillettes are solid brass and nickle plated, so they last forever. The new razors are made of a zinc alloy that will deteriorate over time and break/crumble.

You can get a very nice old Gillette for same cost or less than a new Merkur, Parker, Jagger, etc. All those house brands are re-branded razors from others.

For a 3 piece. look at a Tech and for a twist to open, check out a Super Speed.

Good luck with your tool selection and the shaves.

The Merkur and EJ razors are very "safe" and easy to use instruments, and you can't go far wrong with either. I would stick with the EJ89 or similar and leave branching out into more "exotic" types until you have a good few shaves under your blade.

As a new user your first decision ( unless you've made it) is Vintage or New. Your most economical is likely to be Vintage and there are a host of other reasons to go Vintage. The con to vintage for some is the "yuk" factor. Make that decision 1st

Hi David
Vintage razors are great - I've got 4, 3x Adjustables and a Travel Razor
But I'd recommend starting off with a new razor, then start collecting vintages after you've developed your technique
A Weishi 9306 is a good starter razor, they're well made and very forgiving, but efficient enough for an experienced shaver to continue getting good shaves from it
They are reasonably priced, available in a good choice of different metal plating over the solid brass base, and available in 2 different handle lengths
I've got a 9306CL which is not only a great razor, but also looks cool too
$20160704_123755.jpg

Just pick one and go with it. You will get lots of different, conflicting, opinions around here.

For example, I love my Merkur 34c. It is my favorite razor of the 80+ that I own, which include vintage razors, an EJ, and a few "house brand" razors. However, some people out there really dislike the 34c for various reasons.

Starting out with the weishi tto,, microtouch one tto, or van hagen tto, are a good way of getting int it., and all are about the same, I find the van.hagen to be mild. I got into some vintage razors after I got things down pat. Thats just me though. You may want to experiment with a blade sampler pack also. Wher I live you can find the vander hagen and Microtouch for about 20 bucks, I saw them in Walgreens.

Last edited:
There are so many good razors you can try without spending a fortune. If you want new, try Lord (L6). It's a nice mild razor that can be found on Amazon for under $15 shipped. For an inexpensive vintage 3 piece (as [MENTION=79907]BSAGuy[/MENTION] note above) Gillette Tech is great. For a TTO, I always recommend often undervalued Schick Krona.

My route when I came back to DE shaving? A Micro Touch One. Mild, decent build quality. I used it exclusively for over two years before jumping in the vintage pool. Now I have four razors. Three since June. It's all I use anymore. (Black handle super speed, Flare Tip Super Speed and a Slim adjustable )

If I had to choose only one, I could go with any of the four easily.

try the Razorock Mission... very inexpensive and great starter....
ALSO check out this link:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/498048-Toronto-area-PIF-passaround-box

I's a passaround box I started recently that has tons of products for you to sample and even take a little. It will give you a great chance to experience a ton of stuff, even if it's just a sniff test.

I'd strongly recommend a starter kit from Italian barber:
Razorock Mission
Razorock Plissoft Brush
Razorock Alum Block
Razorock XXX soap
Razorock XXX Aftershave

I think that is the best starter kit to get you hooked!

Hello all;

I hope this is the right place for this thread and if not, please feel free to relocate it.

I am starting to research into DE razors and planning make the switch over and am a little overwhelmed by the number of different razors that are out there (forget about the blade choices). From what I have read Merkur and Edwin Jagger both make a great "starter" razor, but I have also come across "house brands" from the likes of Fendrihan and Razorock and have no idea how they compare to the name brands.

I guess I am open to any opinions, guidance and even suggestions for things I may have not yet noticed.

Thank you all
David

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/498048-Toronto-area-PIF-passaround-box

do it....:thumbup1:

Good question! The thing is that you will get a ton of answers from this crowd.

My 'standard' recommendation is for the EJ89 series or the Merkur 34HD, both very available and excellent IMO. Either may make you perfectly happy, at least a good place to start (or to finish)!

Decide Vintage or New, then buy the other one next. I'm finding the vintage shave a little closer than my Merkur 33C. My top 3 are the Gillette NEW, Gillette Slim Adjustable and Merkur 33C.

Hi David,

I'm going to jump on the Merkur 34C HD bandwagon. It's relatively mild and forgiving, but quite effective and (major plus here) it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I note that we haven't said much about blades, I'd suggest that you get a sample pack. They're pretty easily found on the web and you'll get to try a bunch of brands and types out without spending much. I like Voskhod blades in my 34C, but as you'll see frequently mentioned here - YMMV (Your Milage May Vary); blade/razor combinations depend very much on who's holding the razor.

As a new user your first decision ( unless you've made it) is Vintage or New. Your most economical is likely to be Vintage and there are a host of other reasons to go Vintage. The con to vintage for some is the "yuk" factor. Make that decision 1st

I agree. I started with an EJ89 because of not wanting a used razor. It served me very well for several months, but eventually I became interested in vintage. I own two razors, both vintage Gillettes, and PIF'd the EJ to someone new.

Hi David, I am a strictly vintage user. I'd suggest that you go that route. The old Gillettes are solid brass and nickle plated, so they last forever. The new razors are made of a zinc alloy that will deteriorate over time and break/crumble.

You can get a very nice old Gillette for same cost or less than a new Merkur, Parker, Jagger, etc. All those house brands are re-branded razors from others.

For a 3 piece. look at a Tech and for a twist to open, check out a Super Speed.

Good luck with your tool selection and the shaves.

I totally agree with BSAGuy. As a starter razor I highly recommend a 40s style super speed. Very smooth and comfortable.

Go ahead and buy a vintage razor from the flea market or antique shop. 10 minute boil followed by a good scrubbing bubbles scrub with toothbrush and any bacteria is sure to be annihilated.

Of course if you're one of those germaphobes, I have no advice.

Top Bottom