What's new

Broken 2011 R41

I haven't used any other razor but the 2011 R41 for several years. I purchased 2 so I could leave one in my Dobb Kit. My stay at home unit just broke. The threaded stud from the razor cap broke off in the handle.

1. Does anyone know if Muhle can supply a replacement cap? (I'm pretty sure I can get the stud drilled out of the handle.)
  2. I haven't visited this forum for a while. Is there another razor available that is truly as aggressive as the 2011 R41? (I have read posts that the later version is noticeably milder.)
  3. When the 2011 version came out a lot of buyers didn't like it and there were plenty of them available used. I looked on eBay and a seller had one with a starting bid of over $500. Are these still popping up for sale? What appears to be the price range?

I haven't used any other razor but the 2011 R41 for several years. I purchased 2 so I could leave one in my Dobb Kit. My stay at home unit just broke. The threaded stud from the razor cap broke off in the handle.

1. Does anyone know if Muhle can supply a replacement cap? (I'm pretty sure I can get the stud drilled out of the handle.)
  2. I haven't visited this forum for a while. Is there another razor available that is truly as aggressive as the 2011 R41? (I have read posts that the later version is noticeably milder.)
  3. When the 2011 version came out a lot of buyers didn't like it and there were plenty of them available used. I looked on eBay and a seller had one with a starting bid of over $500. Are these still popping up for sale? What appears to be the price range?

1. I'd be surprised if Muhle had 2011 caps available. 2013 caps fit and are widely available but I don't know how that affects the shave. There is also a seller on B&B who makes plastic 3D printed caps designed to make the 2013 more aggressive. Again, I don't know how that would work on a 2011. Google Spitfire or Hurricane 3D.

2. Several people report that the Ikon Shavecraft Tech is as aggressive as the 2011 R41. I bought one on that basis and for me, it's not better than the 2013 version R41 or the ATT H2.

3. I saw that NOS 2011 R41 priced at $525. I have been following eBay and other sources for the 2011 for a while and thats the first one to come up for sale in over 12 months.

I looked for used 2011s a little bit a while back and didn't see any--apparently they don't appear a lot. I don't know what more recent prices are like. The 2013 definitely is milder. The Ikon Tech is certainly one DE razor that a lot of people think is as/more/nearly as aggressive than the 2011 (I tried it but didn't like it, and shelved it for possible revisitation later).

One of the two frankenrazors that I think of as being in the greater 2011 R41 family that is if anything a shade more aggressive is the Spitfire 41. It's made by using an aftermarket acrylic cap with a 2011 or 2013 base plate. (Which base plate doesn't seem to matter, even though they are slightly different.) Unfortunately this cap is even less durable than the stock 2011--but I think it's worth the price anyway.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/8JV58CPXG/c410i-spitfire-mk-ia?li=more-from-shop&optionId=43231038

On the lower right of the same page there is a link for the Hurricane cap, which works more like the stock 2011.

Thanks to Ozziedoc, he posted while I was still dawdling. That used 2011 market observation is very interesting.

It's very definitely the cap which makes the significant difference between the 2011 and 2013. Fortunately either base plate works great with Aimsport's aftermarket caps, and the 2013 R41 head only is showing at connaughtshaving.com right now at only $15.76 delivered to the US. (!)

It should be noted that the Ikon Tech has a much more than solid following, notwithstanding Ozziedoc's and my particular evaluations. There seem to be a lot of people who love the 2011 and like the Ikon as well or even better.

Top Bottom