What's new

Finally accomplished my first shave

As the title suggests i just finished my first shave with a disposable blade straight. Fortunately for me i still have a face left. Even though it took what seemed like forever i kept reminding myself that this being my first try that i need to take it slow.
After all the reading about the chin and neck being the hardest part to shave indeed were true i had the most trouble on the neck then i did with the chin, long story short first shave was a success and cant wait to try again for my next shave. Equipment is listed below along with pictures.

Razor- magic shavette style razor
Blades- Derby extra
Shaving cream- barbasol (have to finish this up then i'll treat myself to some shaving soap)

$IMG_0742.jpg$IMG_0738.jpg

Congrats on the first shavette shave! Slow is the best pace while learning. I still get humbled every now and then when I try to rush a shave.

Congrats and welcome to the cub! Funny how a once mundane task can become an event to look forward to, right?

I still get a thrill pulling off a great shave, although I stopped trying to share my excitement with friends and family....the strange looks and the, "so you shaved,eh? ...good for you," responses kind of cooled my enthusiasm. Fortunately the good folks here at B&B understand it all!

I was nervous with it being my first time but after the first 10 minutes that went away I'm just amazed at how close the shave was being only my first time, I just cant wait till I get the hang of it so I can start progressing further on with new equipment

Go slow my friend and don't be in a rush to get an amazing shave, that is the road to discomfort. Read some of the straight razor shave journals and see how others have begun and the problems they encountered. And have fun with this, one day you'll use a straight razor and won't believe how far you've come. Welcome and stick with it. :thumbup:

thank you for the kind words and advice after my first shave i don't see myself going back anytime soon, i have been watching videos about straight razor shaving as well as reading the shave journals as well trying to learn as much as i can

Welcome to the world of straights! Next stop vintage straight ;) you will be surprised how quickly you will get better

Congrats and enjoy the learning curve. Take your time as othes have said, learning the hard way is not fun....lol.

IMHO the transition to straights is easier once you hit your stride with the shavette. I find traditional straights more forgiving. Shavettes will punish poor technique pretty quick :death::lol:

IMHO the transition to straights is easier once you hit your stride with the shavette. I find traditional straights more forgiving. Shavettes will punish poor technique pretty quick :death::lol:

im glad you mentioned that cause i figured it out the hard way but what is learning without a few mistakes

Top Bottom