What's new

Trapping pigs???

Anybody else on here trap pigs?? A couple years ago I trapped hundred then they just disappeared. On Friday I noticed tracks again so I baited the trap. Corn and lime jello!

Bad reception today....

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't trap any, but on the ranch next to us they have a few traps out. I've never seen them, or sign, or tore up ground on my property but I have a kinda small pasture and am on high ground. They are bad in the bottoms...see road kill all the time in the low spot on the way to the main highway...I can imagine the car damage from those things. I hit a little doe in that area last year and it dented the front of my truck and completely destroyed the headlight assembly. Sent the deer for a loop but when I got stopped and looked back it jumped up and vaulted the fence and was gone.

I believe they use corn in their traps on the ranch; I'll ask next time I see the ranch manager, and mention the lime jello. Never heard of that. Guess it works in your area. I've put deer corn out and seen the deer just grazing away right next to the feeder...they acted like it wasn't even there...crows ended up eating it.

Legion

Staff member
When I lived on a property with 5000 acres we had a couple of traps. We would bait them with dead sheep.

The worst part was, the guys who maintained the traps reckoned that you could not just shoot the pig inside the trap, as the other pigs would smell the blood and not go near it again. We we would have to remove a huge angry razorback boar, get it far enough away from the trap, and dispatch it with a knife (cant shoot it at that point or you will probably end up shooting one of the guys wrestling with it by accident.)

What with crawling into a rotten sheep filled trap, risking life and limb to drag out a pig, by the end that doesn't have big tusks, and then having to dispatch it, without piercing its gut and poisoning the meat.... I generally would put off checking the traps until after lunch. :tongue_sm

Never again.

When I lived on a property with 5000 acres we had a couple of traps. We would bait them with dead sheep.

The worst part was, the guys who maintained the traps reckoned that you could not just shoot the pig inside the trap, as the other pigs would smell the blood and not go near it again. We we would have to remove a huge angry razorback boar, get it far enough away from the trap, and dispatch it with a knife (cant shoot it at that point or you will probably end up shooting one of the guys wrestling with it by accident.)

What with crawling into a rotten sheep filled trap, risking life and limb to drag out a pig, by the end that doesn't have big tusks, and then having to dispatch it, without piercing its gut and poisoning the meat.... I generally would put off checking the traps until after lunch. :tongue_sm

Never again.

That's what supermarkets are for.

I've killed hundreds of pigs in that trap. You can pour corn on top of pig blood and they will come right in and eat the corn and drink the blood. Pigs are canibals!!! A dead pig thrown in a field makes good bait for yotes or pigs!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker

Never again.
That sounds like some good times!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We trapped a lot of feral hogs down on our ranch in South Texas. We used corn and strawberry jello (the powder). If the trap wasn't used for a long period of time it would always quite catch a few when newly baited. After that it was hit and miss. They are pretty smart unlike Ouches girlfriends from schrooll.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The sows make good eating, as far as the Boars........

"To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms."

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
We ate a tenderloin out of a boar I killed in Texas a couple years ago.
Pity, I was so drunk I can't recall how it tasted.

Top Bottom