What's new

Perhaps a foolish question, but .

When discussing DE blades, all you guys keep talking about how long you use a blade. For example, 2 shaves, 3-4 shaves, etc. Since a DE blade obviously has 2 cutting edges, how frequently during a shave are you turning the razor ? I'm turning with every 2 or 3 strokes. When commenting on how many shaves you get out of a blade, are you all turning the razor so that each edge is being used equally ?

No reason to over think it. I just flip it when it is full of lather. Both sides will be used close enough to even.

I use one side until full of lather, flip until the second side is full of lather, rinse, repeat. My typical shave is 3 passes. If in a rush I will do 2. One shave counts as one shave, regardless of passes in my counting scheme. Anything more complicated is too complicated IMO!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It's not a foolish question at all. This is why we have the Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum. :001_smile

I generally turn the razor whenever I rinse the lather off of my razor. So, depending on how thick and heavy my lather is, I'll probably turn it 6-8 times per pass.

It's not a foolish question at all. This is why we have the Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum. :001_smile

I generally turn the razor whenever I rinse the lather off of my razor. So, depending on how thick and heavy my lather is, I'll probably turn it 6-8 times per pass.
Exactly the same for me.

RJ - Chicago
Posted from my phone, please forgive typos.

Great question!

I use one of two methods. Either I use one side for an entire pass, then re-lather and use the other side (switching sides between passes), or I use one side for the entire shave (all 2 to 4 passes) and leave myself a fresh unused edge for my next shave.

I never switch sides before completing an entire pass. That makes it much easier (for me) to ensure even usage.

Thanks for asking!

Not a bad question at all.
I'm not sure how many do this way, but I will shave with one side of the blade for X amount of days then use the other side of the blade the same X amount of days. Most blades I use give me 14 days of shaves. 7 days on one side and 7 days on the other.

I turn it around randomly, with it in mind that it helps equalize the wear. That may or may not be sufficient to get even wear. As for frequent replacement, I could likely get more out of the blades but they are inexpensive and a reason for going to DE was to avoid stretching the life of expensive cartridges.

As stated above. My method is fill up one side, flip, fill the other side with later, rinse repeat. One complete shave counts as one use on the blade for me.
I believe the blade is being used equally on both sides or dam close to it.

Just to throw a curveball
With a TTO, Adjustable or Closed Comb/Scalloped Safety Bar 3-Piece:
I flip it over when it's full of lather, then use the other edge until it's full of lather, then rinse and repeat

With my Acevivi Dual-Comb 3-Piece:
WTG & XTG, I use the open comb edge until it's full of lather, rinse and repeat
ATG & Buffing, I use the scalloped safety bar edge until it's full of lather, rinse and repeat

Great Question and food for thought...
I shave and flip and shave some more.
now I have to start making tick marks on the mirror and keeping them in a log book and start a computer spreadsheet....:w00t:
I think I'll go back to one-sided carts.. :lol:
I didn't switch to DE to have to think...:blink:

Top Bottom