What's new

Unlucky Tiger?

[MENTION=89593]Shiloh[/MENTION] - macnutty had it right..toning is the effect of a small amount of moisture being pulled from the surface of the skin making it a little less hydrated and tighter feeling. So what's the benefit...? The moisture being pulled from the skin allows any nicks or little cuts you may have gotten to be pulled closed quicker than normal skin would allow. Some also enjoy the feeling of a slightly tighter skin after a shave, it adds to that "clean" feeling. But the downside is that if there is any razor burn as opposed to cuts, you will definitely have an opposite affect. Seems redundant to say, but moisture is your friend when its a burn and not a cut. You need the skin to repair itself with requires hydration. That's why a lot of seasoned shavers like to use an aftershave, clean up while it is evaporating from your skin (closing your cuts) and then apply a moisturizer or balm to rehydrate the skin to facilitate the healing process of any damage. So just like everything else in shaving, it boils down to preference and balance.

@Shiloh - macnutty had it right..toning is the effect of a small amount of moisture being pulled from the surface of the skin making it a little less hydrated and tighter feeling. So what's the benefit...? The moisture being pulled from the skin allows any nicks or little cuts you may have gotten to be pulled closed quicker than normal skin would allow. Some also enjoy the feeling of a slightly tighter skin after a shave, it adds to that "clean" feeling. But the downside is that if there is any razor burn as opposed to cuts, you will definitely have an opposite affect. Seems redundant to say, but moisture is your friend when its a burn and not a cut. You need the skin to repair itself with requires hydration. That's why a lot of seasoned shavers like to use an aftershave, clean up while it is evaporating from your skin (closing your cuts) and then apply a moisturizer or balm to rehydrate the skin to facilitate the healing process of any damage. So just like everything else in shaving, it boils down to preference and balance.

Like I said before, if you want toning use alum post shave and before the LT. You will get more toning than from an alcohol based AS and know immediately if you have messed up your shave. Then use the LT to put the fire out, if any, and pamper your skin. Lastly use an Edt/cologne for a long lasting post shave scent. OTH just use an alcohol based AS and forego the three part harmony treatment but get a bit of all three effects.

Bob

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The whole idea behind Lucky Tiger is that it just feels like . . . good. It's marvelous stuff.

It also works well as a mixer. One of my favorite splashes is a 50/50 mix of Lucky Tiger and Osage Rub.

You can also try putting a splash of Lucky Tiger in your palm and then put a splash of Florida Water on top and rub the two together and apply, it's very pleasant and the two blend well and you get a slight astringnent feel due to the Florida Water.
+1

I actually use Lucky Tiger after every shave regardless of what soap, A/S or cologne I'm using that day. It's alcohol & menthol free, so no burning or tingle expected. However, it does have aloe & chamomile to help soothe the skin. As for the toning part my face also feels a bit tighter as it dries but it's subtle which I prefer over some of the more overt toners. I find the scent to be fantastic and only lasts 5mins so it won't interfere with your a/s or cologne.

Mars nails it here.

After reading These comments, I feel the need for some clarification...Is LT not supposed to be used in lieu of an a/s? I was under the impression that it acted as an a/s with come added component of soothing and toning. Should an a/s be employed before or after LT on a regular basis? or is that just preference?

Like many gents here, I use LT after every shave, followed by my AS of the day. The LT is loaded with good stuff that soothes yer face: witch hazel, aloe, chamomile, calendula, vitamin E, vitamin A, and glycerin. The scent is designed to fade quickly to give scope for your AS.

Everyone else pretty much has Lucky Tiger covered spot on.
I'll add if you're looking for a strong cooling effect go for some Osage Rub or Chiseled Face Cryogen (haven't tried, going on reputation) are very strongly mentholated splashes.:osage: <--- This smiley is a 100% accurate representation of what happens when using Osage.:laugh:

Last edited:
No burn from Lucky Tiger. Its very soothing, and my face feels great for most of the day. Has a nice citrus smell to it, but that dissipates almost immediately after applying it. Not a great choice if you want to smell nice, but great for its soothing properties.

It is marketed as an aftershave/face tonic and from what I could tell, a lot of people like it. And when I opened it, the scent was subtle but nice. When I used it, there was no normal aftershave type tingle/burn and my face didn't really feel very toned afterward. It just seemed to be a flat aftershave and sub-par toner.

When I first used LT early on, I didn’t think much of it either…..as an aftershave. IMO it is not a TRUE aftershave, but rather a citrus scented witch hazel, something like Thayers might have produced. And while some aftershaves do contain witch hazel, LT has substantially more. I use it after an alum block and rinse – feels fantastic and briefly smells fantastic. I would not do without it now. Follow the LT application with a TRUE aftershave.

When I first used LT early on, I didn&#8217;t think much of it either&#8230;..as an aftershave. IMO it is not a TRUE aftershave, but rather a citrus scented witch hazel, something like Thayers might have produced. And while some aftershaves do contain witch hazel, LT has substantially more. I use it after an alum block and rinse &#8211; feels fantastic and briefly smells fantastic. I would not do without it now. Follow the LT application with a TRUE aftershave.

Since I have began this thread, my opinion, like yours, has changed with further shaving experience. I do still prefer a little burn and tightness after a shave, but that's only after a smooth shave with no irritation (which I can get with my DE but not my SR, yet). When I started this thread, I had not yet tried my SR. Now that I have 2 rough SR shaves (which taught me a lot) under my belt, I have a very different appreciation for LT. Its the only A/S I'll use after an SR shave until I can get smoother with it. I have enough burn and irritation after the SR, so I want no added burn. So LT is my absolute go-to. I'll cold rinse, LT splash, then moisturizer and leave it alone. And this is the second day after my second SR shave, and even without shaving, I still woke up and put on a layer of LT just to get some curative chemicals on my still recovering skin. Now I will never be without some LT in my den.

Three comments on Lucky Tiger:

1. LT has a very mild scent that does not last long. For me this is an advantage at work as we are supposed to be "scent free."

2. LT does not burn and is very soothing IMO, so an excellent choice if you have some skin irritation or have had a rough shave.

3. There is also the option of applying an EdC or stronger AS after using LT.

THis stuff sounds nice. Does this compare to the mild smell/action of the spieck after shave?

THis stuff sounds nice. Does this compare to the mild smell/action of the spieck after shave?
I like Spieck a lot too, but it has alcohol where as LT doesn't. I rank Speick more soothing than most aftershaves and with a light burn and mild scent. LT is all about the skin and almost no scent after it dries. I like Thayer's Lemon with 10% alcohol as another that's nearly scent free after drying.

I tried LT looking for a citrus based aftershave which is it's only disappointment since the scent is fleeting.

Top Bottom