What's new

Which (mostly surplus) bolt-action rifle to go with, and why?

Which bolt-action would you recommend, and why?

• CZ 550 FS

• M1903A3

• No4 MKI/MKII

• Mauser 98K

Results are only viewable after voting.
So I've recently been bit by the surplus bug again, and I'm trying to wade through the many options that are out there. I figured this might be an interesting topic to discuss here, and so I seek your input as to what you'd choose, and why. I'll point out the obvious and state that the CZ 550 FS is not a surplus rifle, but I've had a few CZ 452's and absolutely loved them, and I adore the mannlicher-style full stock. I have a line on each of these at the moment, so some feedback might help me narrow things down. The rifles are as follows:

1) CZ 550 FS in .30-06. Again, not a surplus rifle, but they're handy, they look absolutely smashing, the Mauser action is bomb-proof, and the .30-06 is a staple in American hunting and rifle shooting. It has open sights (another prime reason the surplus bug has me, I don't have to fork over more money for an optic right away), they have a reputation for accuracy, and did I mention how gorgeous they are? The single set trigger is another added plus.

2) M1903A3 (in .30-06, what else?). What I'm looking at is not a collector's piece with full matching numbers, etc., but rather armorer restorations that look the part and shoot well. As fun as it would be to say I have a completely original M1903, I'm more interested in something that looks good and shoots good without running me a grand or so. All three of these are rifles I plan to use for the rest of my life. The A3 has the peep rear sight, and again, a Mauser action. What's not to like?

3) Lee Enfield No4 MKI/MKII. I'm listing both together because a local guy has a nice MKI at a decent price, but I highly prefer the MKII simply for the fact that the trigger is mounted to the receiver, not the trigger guard. I live in AZ, so warping wood from humidity isn't a concern right now. HOWEVER, as a soon-to-be commercial pilot, I have to be prepared to move where the money is, and that could very likely include a number of very humid locations. So a receiver mounted trigger, as found on the MKII, appeals more but I don't really hear a lot of complaints on the MKI, so perhaps I worry needlessly. Anywho, I had a No4 MKII a few years back and LOVED it, but had to sell it when times got tough. I find them to be gorgeous rifles when in good shape, the rear peep/micrometer sight offers excellent options for quick shots as well as accurate shots at distance. And while .303 surplus is drying up quickly and rising in price, it's fairly comparable to .30-06 when it comes to commercial offerings (both in terms of price and performance). I found the **** on closing feature to be easy to work with also. *If you vote for the No4, please note in your comments which you'd go with and why. Thanks!*

4) Mauser 98K. Again, a tank of an action, well-documented performance and reliability, and a good round overall. I just don't know a ton about the 8mm, and for whatever reason I don't find them to be quite as visually pleasing as the No4 or M1903.

Note that I've omitted a few other well-known options you may be inclined to recommend. Feel free to do so, but:

1) I already own a very good condition K31, so I have the "most accurate 'mil-surp' made" box checked off.

2) Mosin's are still fairly cheap and plentiful, overall. Prices ARE rising, but I there are numerous sources that stock nice 91/30s still. A Finnish M39 would be my first choice, but there are still lots of those available as well.

So, there you have it, a novel stating my thoughts and asking for yours. Lemme have it, and thanks for your input and discussions!

Last edited:
My vote, for a couple of reasons is for the Enfield; and, you mention many of its advantages. I like the Enfield because there is no better handling bolt action rifle IMHO. I love the .303 Brit round (rimmed and all.) The Enfield holds 10 rounds, bolt manipulation is the fastest, and smoothest, of the rifles you mention (and maybe any standard production surplus rifle,) nice flip up sights (which you mention), has enough energy to take most NA medium to large(ish) game if you wish, and will give almost identical (I like it better in standard .mil loadings) performance to the .308Win. I have no trouble finding .303 on the shelves, but the cartridge is, "technically," obsolete. My choice is a No5Mk1 but No4s are the cream of the full size Enfields.

Re the 1903, beware low serial number 1903s made before February of 1918. Heat treating made them brittle. You'll be fine with an A3, but don't settle for an early rifle if you can't find the A3 of your choice. Big advantage here is that the CMP, I think, still sells them!!!

Re the 98K, I wouldn't own one of you paid me; you can probably tell why. As a round, I like 8mm.

Re the CZ, great rifle, but not surplus. 30'06 is a fantastic round.

Last edited:
I voted the M98 only because of limited number of choices. It has been so long, nearly 50 years since I have shot an Enfield I do not remember much, except the one I shot was rather rough. The Springfield is in reality a modified M98, and I would like one but price of a good one is rather high. CZ is commercial, not military so do not know why it is in the listing!!

My real preferences run to the fine Swedish M96 Mausers and the Swiss straight pull actions, the M1911 Schmidt Rubin and the K-31. These tend to be the most accurate of the military rifles available. Surplus Swiss GP 11 ammo is of what we call almost match grade and is hard to beat.

Every CZ rifle I've shot, and own three, has been outstanding. Very nice triggers, great groups.

My first rifle was an '03. Not a great gun, lousy trigger, acceptable groups for an infantry gun, killed a few deer. Wish I still had it though, nostalgia & history.

I voted for the M1903A3 because it's always been a holy Grail rifle for me and nice examples
can be spendy, so in reality I would opt for the CZ, with that Mannlicher stock, very appealing.
I've owned both the 98K and the Mark 4, great shooters but never totally floated my boat,
best of luck on your quest.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I voted the CZ550 FS, I have one in 6.5 x 55 Swede. For Mil surplus I would have voted for a Swedish Mauser if that had been a choice. Killed my first deer with a sporterized version, standing off hand 200+yds. Also in 6.5 x 55, very accurate rifle, soft shooting but deadly.

Thanks for the feedback so far, folks, keep it coming!

I can't say I'm too surprised w/ the results so far. As I mentioned, I've had a few CZ rifles and they're all phenomenal. I've heard excellent things about the 6.5x55, but the .30-06 model I'm looking at is well priced and the ammo is readily available, so I can't ignore that, haha.

Personally, if the CZ falls through or I wind up being able to afford two, I think an Enfield is what I'll go for. I've always wanted an M1903 as well, but the Enfield just calls to me. Don't let that stop anybody from voicing their opinions though, I'm definitely still open to persuasion, and if nothing else, some good discussion about classic rifles. :)

So what is your intended purpose for the eventual selected rifle?

Mostly general enjoyment at the range, for the immediate time. However, long-term, I'm looking for a rifle that not only allows me to have some pride in ownership and a good time at the range, but also take some game at some point. The surplus rifles would also permit me to enter in surplus rifle matches, which is a plus.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Do you reload? Matters. .303 is a pain that way, not that SMLEs aren't awesome. I would vote K98 personally. I load mine with cast range rounds using Trail Boss, little recoil. M39 a also is spectacular.

AA

I would think that any of them would be capable of taking game within humane ranges, if one is willing to carry them on a hunt. My personal fave on the list are the Enfields, but as [MENTION=102184]Ad Astra[/MENTION] indicates, 303 can be kind of a pain to reload because of short brass life. Lee's neck sizing dies help, but you probably need a broken shell extractor if you reload much 303.

At the moment, I do not. I'm in school at eight credit hours, working 20-25 hours a week, and taking ground and flight classes, so my schedule's pretty busy. I plan to do so in the near future, however, and have heard of the .303 challenges. Neck sizing only is something I've heard, as well as the O-ring trick. Lots to learn on that front before I jump in fully, though. I personally wouldn't consider that a deal breaker for me, however. I'm quite technically minded and enjoy a good challenge.

Regardless, I'm a factory/surplus ammo shooter only for the time being.

Get the '03A3. You won't regret it.

My first centerfire rifle was this Smith Corona 1903-A3, acquired around deer season in 1975. Very accurate and chambered for a very potent cartridge, it has served as a deer rifle, a high-power competition rifle, a gratifying range rifle, and for endless plinking sessions. It's action is slick. It's slicker and smoother than the vaunted Enfield in my view and I have several 1903s and SMLEs from both world Wars. The SMLEs haven't beat the 1903-A3 for tight groups off the bench and their typical oversized chambers always make handloading for them a bit more effort and expense. I also enjoy shooting it a bit more than any 98 Mauser I've owned or tried. A Mosin Nagant also lives here but would be last choice of the ones on your list as it's more primitive in my view, the bolt awkward, the action distinctly not smooth, the rimmed cartridge cases more clumsy to load with or without stripper clips. It is potent though.

I was 18 when I bought this rifle, 41 years ago. It's not retired yet. It's busy being the rifle I'm using for the rest of my life and is serving admirably in that capacity.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:thumbup1: Loving that '03. Like mine, a "new" WWII barrel, indicative of training recruits (perhaps).

Will say, you need good eyes to see the sights on an 03. A Mauser's pyramid front is easier on my eyes, as I will never scope any collectable, must see/use what sights are on it.

AA

Your smith I believe has a replacement stock. The C stock I don't believe came that way. I have one and its not the original straight stock.

Remington 700 was not an option given. I have one of those, one of the varmit special models, and a pre 64 Winchester Model featherweight. The Winchester action with the anti bind lug is far smoother to operate. The lack of the anti bind lug on the CZ rifles is my big objection to them, I have two one of the miniature Mausers in 22 Hornet, the other a 550 Safari American. If you do not pull the bolts exactly straight back, or with any upward tension on the bolt, it will bind.. The model 98 Mauser and true clones have the antibind lug and are much smoother to operate.

I second the M39. The Finns worked out a few of the issues that the Russians had just accepted (better triggers, sights, stocks, and worked out the feed problems for the most part)

Get the 03A3, I picked up one from a Gentlemen I work with as he inherited it and did not want it, I reload for .30 cal so it was an easy decison and it's a beautiful rifle.

$IMG_7950.jpg$IMG_8028.jpg$IMG_8150.jpg

Top Bottom