What's new

Weird question- Do you believe in the idea of hiking pants - if so, what do you wear?

When I hike (usually in hot or moderately cool weather), I wear lightweight quick dry nylon pants.

They are inexpensive and primarily made for wade fishing.

I am looking for something a little more substantial and comfortable. My current pants are just too thin and not made to withstand the elements during a long hike.

If you wear or believe in the concept of "hiking" pants, do you have any recommendations?

Around $50 would be ideal.

Take care,
Jason

i just wear my cotton bib overalls.cotton/denim is tough enough to withstand the brush and cools the body when wet,dries rather easily,and it's something i wear everyday any way

No cotton for me. Porous, so no wind protection. Soggy and slow drying when wet. Heave when dry.

I wear wool Army surplus pants (Model 1951) in the winter and some type of synthetic in the summer. THe BSA uniform pants are great for hiking.

For any serious hiking or backpacking synthetics are the way to go for their ability to dry quickly, relatively lightweight (as compared to other materials) and provide protection from the elements. I choose The North Face because they fit me better than other brands.

REI hiking pants all the way for me. However, they are thin nylon, just like what you're wearing. They wear pretty well for me, but if you're on your knees all the time, or serious bushwacking..you'll probably want something thicker. You definitely don't want cotton..you want synthetic whether it's hot or cold. The REI pants I use are their Sahara convertible pants. This way I can convert to shorts on the fly if I want to.

https://www.rei.com/product/861659/rei-classic-sahara-convertible-pants-mens-30-inseam

They are more than your budget at full price ($64). I only buy these when they're on sale. I generally don't pay more than around $35-$40 for mine..sometimes less.

REI hiking pants all the way for me. However, they are thin nylon, just like what you're wearing. They wear pretty well for me, but if you're on your knees all the time, or serious bushwacking..you'll probably want something thicker. You definitely don't want cotton..you want synthetic whether it's hot or cold. The REI pants I use are their Sahara convertible pants. This way I can convert to shorts on the fly if I want to.

https://www.rei.com/product/861659/rei-classic-sahara-convertible-pants-mens-30-inseam

They are more than your budget at full price ($64). I only buy these when they're on sale. I generally don't pay more than around $35-$40 for mine..sometimes less.

Those type of pants (nylon or ripcord) are fine. I have an REI somewhat nearby plus I haven't used my dividend. Thanks for the link.

I have synthetic hiking pants from Prana, Kuhl, First Ascent/Eddie Bauer and most recently, Costco.
The qualities they all share is that the wick mositure, dry quickly when wet, are light weight, compress when packed and fit well without being to tight. 50 ish is possible if you catch something on sale. Notably, the Costco ones are 20ish and while not quite as nice as the ones I mentioned above, like most things Costco, far exceeed the intersection of quality and value.

http://www.costco.com/UB-Tech-Men's-Travel-Pant.product.100283737.html

Jeans are a no go for me period. If I was wanting something cotton for proof of concept, Walmart carries rip stop cotton Wrangler cargo pants at 20 per
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-Men-s-Rip-Stop-Cargo-Shorts/14542025

Last edited:
I have synthetic hiking pants from Prana, Kuhl, First Ascent/Eddie Bauer and most recently, Costco.
The qualities they all share is that the wick mositure, dry quickly when wet, are light weight, compress when packed and fit well without being to tight. 50 ish is possible if you catch something on sale. Notably, the Costco ones are 20ish and while not quite as nice as the ones I mentioned above, like most things Costco, far exceeed the intersection of quality and value.

http://www.costco.com/UB-Tech-Men's-Travel-Pant.product.100283737.html

Jeans are a no go for me period. If I was wanting something cotton for proof of concept, Walmart carries rip stop cotton Wrangler cargo pants at 20 per
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-Men-s-Rip-Stop-Cargo-Shorts/14542025

Thanks for the reply. I saw the Wrangler pants at Walmart. Not bad.

I currently have a bid on similar pants by Kuhl on EBay. They are used so the price is right.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My preference has always been for shorts instead of pants.

My current favourites are "Royce Peak" from Columbia.

I currently prefer Prana Stretch Zion pants. They are light weight and I don't know what I would do if I wanted something heavier. Like was mentioned above, I don't wear cotton when hiking.

I currently prefer Prana Stretch Zion pants. They are light weight and I don't know what I would do if I wanted something heavier. Like was mentioned above, I don't wear cotton when hiking.

+1 ... these pants are superb for hiking/trekking if you don't want to wear shorts.

When I backpack or hike, I opt for my pair of BSA camping pants. Quick drying with zippers on the knees to turn them into shorts.

Has the BSA gear changed since my time? When I was in Scouts, nobody wore the uniform except for meetings and other formal stuff. Those pants were ungodly stiff, hot and uncomftorable. I remember having to stand out at the flag pole at summer camp before dinner dressed in that uniform in the 100+ degree heat and humidity of Wadmalaw SC... I even went to Philmont, and nobody bothered bringing uniform stuff on the actual trail.

When I hike, I opt for some kind of performance material as well. REI, Columbia, North Face etc. Cotton pants are OK for a short day hike, but don't really perform well in the elements.

Nylon pants work just fine.
If you want to brave the elements bring waterproof pants to go over the top for rain, or nylon thermals to go under for cold.

Never go hiking in cotton, that's just asking for trouble.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have a couple pair of the REI convertible pants (Sahara, I think?) I love them for hiking. They are light, durable, comfortable, quick-drying, and have loads of pockets. You can find them on sale for around $50. By "convertible," I mean that you can remove the calves by a zipper. That's handy for when you are start hiking on a cool morning but then you or the day warms up.

One thing to note is that they are not heat resistant. Keep 'em away from the fire.

Top Bottom