What's new

Now what

In another thread I said that I bought my first fountain pen. My next question is there any thing you do to a new pen to get it ready for that first ink cartridge. I have some Private Reserve ink to put in the pen when it arrives from China. Do you clean nib. How do you get ink flowing? Etc.

I would flush it first with some warm water. If it unscrews I would fun it under the tap. I dry by standing it nib down om a tissue overnight

the first thing i would do is inspect the pen for defects, anything cracked, nib is damaged and such. then make sure the nib is aligned, a good flushing with water is usually sufficient, but you can use some Windex followed by some water to clean manufacturing oils away. after cleaning i usually dry the pen with a soft fuzz free clothe, since fountain pens use capillary action to work drying is easy as holding a dry section of cloth to nib or feed. after filling with the converter wipe the section and top of nib with tissue and write on. if using a cart, uncap the pen, rest it nib down on some paper and let the ink flow through the feed.

I don't think I have been infected with that bug but I hear that it is highly contagious. If I hang around here very long I just might just catch it.

What are the symptoms of this affliction. I think I might be coming down with it. I have been looking at a pilot metropolitan. It is taking much to long in getting this china special. I hear the pilot is a good cheap pen. Is that true or just a vicious rumor?

Make sure to clean the pen by flushing it. Some pens need it and others dont but it's better to be on the safe side. If you are using cartridges just load it up and give it some time for the feed to saturate this could take several minutes. Once all that is done enjoy your pen and start thinking about what to order next!

What are the symptoms of this affliction. I think I might be coming down with it. I have been looking at a pilot metropolitan. It is taking much to long in getting this china special. I hear the pilot is a good cheap pen. Is that true or just a vicious rumor?

The Metropolitan is actually very nice for the price. Our house has two and they are both very good. I've found them to be much nicer than "china specials" so a Metro might be kind of a gateway drug. It was for me. If I had started with the same Jinhao that now sits unused on my shelf I may never have gotten another FP. You've been warned.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't think I have been infected with that bug ...

Famous last words.

... but I hear that it is highly contagious. If I hang around here very long I just might just catch it.

Yep.

proxy.php

I'm sorry, it's Jinhao Fever ... the Lamy Membrane is inflamed, and you need 78g of Kaweco Serum from the Metropolitan Hospital, STAT.

Top Bottom