What's new

Good quality strops

I am looking to purchase a good strop. I have come across many vendors and websites with various types. Even ordered a T.I. 4 sided paddle strop, but was disappointed with its 1.5 inch width for its price, and am returning it. I hear that english bridle is a quality material. But all the configurations I seem to like are in "latigo" material. What's the difference in leather materials used for strops? What are the better materials? Or does it even matter as long as its a chunk of leather?

Check out the stickies up above about strops, the need vs want. In a nutshell any smooth surface material will do, newspaper, legal pad, leather belt etc. As far as the different leathers the names refer to the finish the tannery uses on them. These finishes impart a different amount of draw or resistance as the razor moves over them during the stropping process. A light draw leather will feel slick, medium a bit more effort is required to move the razor...its really personal preference. You can spend a lot of money or very little, but the end results will be the same as far as the edge of the razor is concerned.

Starting out I would suggest a 3" wide strop simply because you don't have to learn figure 8 strokes, just simple back and forth strokes rolling the razor on its spine.

I have no personal experience with Larry at Whippedog, but he has a good reputation from those who have. I believe he offers a very reasonable priced product for beginners.

You will cut your first strop, so I would recommend getting some 1000 & 1500 grain sandpaper to repair the nicks, just be sure to wipe the area down with a damp rag to remove any grit before use.

Also don't bother to buy any special strop oils or waxes, just rub it every now and then with your hands to oil it.

After you get your stropping technique down you might want to venture into different leathers and finishes, but remember the cheapest strop works just as well as the most expensive.

Good luck.

Top Bottom