What's new

The razor you no longer lust after

I wanted a Bohin, really wanted one. But their reputation as being merely OK shavers and their current high price point means the thrill is gone.

Do you have a razor you once lusted after but no longer care much about?

Le Bohin (France)

$bohin.JPG

Merkur Vision. Really, really wanted one. Finally bought one. Came to realize it was totally not the right razor for me.

At the moment, I'd very much like a slant razor. Was leaning toward a Merkur 37c or 39c. Have recently come to believe that a RazoRock slant might just satisfy the craving, at less than half the cost of a Merkur. I do hope it doesn't turn out to be another Merkur Vision experience for me.

For me it is the old razorock slants, although I'm waiting on the email for the wunderbar. The aftermarket prices were always high on those slants, and I never pulled the trigger. I no longer look for them.

Gillette Fat Boy ... wanted it, found it and paid very little but never got along with it at all. Still think it's a very pretty razor.

Gillette Superspeed ... same deal maybe the TTO head is too big to fit under my big nose!

I really wanted a #16 and finally got it but found it is way to mild for me. The one I have been missing is a double ring but lately the thrill has been gone!

Bronze Set, Above the Tie.
TOTALLY different than anything else I've ever used. Maybe, mostly, due to the coefficient of friction of the bronze top cap to skin via shave soap interface.

HIGHLY recommend test driving before payout. If it is any indication of the entire line, and you have NO experience with their products, that advice might be best anyway. (At this point, I have many alternate manufacturers represented and I don't believe I'll be expensing for another AtT anytime soon. Stan, no ill will or mean reflection on your work or business by any means what-so-ever Sir.)

- And I'm not saying I'm giving up and going to let mine go for a song either. Just... well, I still have Loads of practice to make my peace and know I'll get exactly the shave I want every time I pick the razor up from its inkwell.

Any aluminum razor.
-Started hearing the horror stores.

Vintage razors.
-I am a little bit grossed out. A razor is a personal item.

Toggles.

I know it's impossible for me to find one in great condition without breaking the bank. I'm giving up on that one.

+1 on the Merkur Vision. Now it just sits in the stand by sink. Could not get that thing to cooperate for the life of me.

HD 500.
Always heard good things about them. Found one at an acceptable price point in what I thought was really good shape. (I'm fussy, didn't want "just a user grade...").

Well, after using it for about 6 weeks straight, my Red Tip and a GSB does just as nice a job.

I'll probably keep the HD, but I'm a bit disappointed.

"...the more people I meet, the more I like my dog..."

Believe it or not - a Micro Touch One

I'm a big fan of "Pawn Stars" on ITV4, they're always getting some great stuff on offer, and the banter between Rick, Corey, Chumlee and "The Old Man" is funny to watch
When I joined B&B and I read the thread about Rick Harisson advertising the MTO on TV, I thought it would be cool to have one, I watched the ad on Youtube and liked it, but after I read some bad reviews online, and saw that the MTO usually carries a $20 price tag, I decided against it.
I recently saw one on eBay for only €6 with free delivery from China to Spain, and pulled the trigger.
I got a good shave with it, and it changed my previously negative views on Dorco ST300 blades, but I found the razor to be very fragile - One day when I was cleaning the razor, a silo door fell off, another day I dropped it in the sink and the cap at the end of the handle fell off and nearly went down the plughole. A pair of pliers and a lot of patience later and I got the silo doors working even better than they did from brand new, and a blob of Blue-Tack fixed the cap back on securely.
In other words, I don't think it's worth €6 - let alone $20

I don't dislike the MTO, and I still get some good shaves from it, but it isn't as well built as a Weishi, it isn't as sturdy as a Weishi - and top of the list, I prefer my Weishi 9306CL

My next dream razor is a NOS 1969 (O4) Black Beauty - my birth year razor, but I'm in no hurry and I can wait until I see one on eBay for a crazy low price

Toggle
Double ring
Any Super Speed
Super Adjustable 109 (vastly prefer the 84)

It's either a case of the razor being over priced or for me it's a "bland" shaver.

- Lane

D1 Red Dot Fatboy...a delirious fever which seems to have broken. I never actually had one; I've found a new (NEW) love. No bitter regrets, just a wistful smile.

Tom

A Gillette slim adjustable. I have a Fat Boy now, so I don't see the need. If I find one for a good price I may jump on it. It's just not a top item for me anymore.

Sadly, it's the ATT. I really loved the looks and quality, but it just didn't go well for me. I have also lusted over a Wolfman razor, but, after my experience with the ATT, I'm just about done with high priced razors.

For me it's ATT. As mentioned it is no ill will towards Stan, quite the contrary, he is an amazing man producing first class product with the best customer service I have ever experienced. I have used the M1 and S1 both of which I have not gotten on with. I will at some point try the ATT SE1 but their DE's are out for me.

A Merkur 38c when I was shaving with a Weishi. After switching to a Utopia, the desire is now for an OC with a lean towards the Parker 26c or the new Boker.

Top Bottom