What's new

I bought my first fountain pen

Jinhao 8812 Fountain Pen Rose Wood Barrel I just bought one of these for $2.95. I don't think I could go to wrong with this purchase. If it is trash can material I haven't wasted to much money. I hope it will be a good starter pen. Anyone know anything about this pen?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I think you'll be OK, the Jinhao is a pretty good pen company. You're not going to be too discouraged at that price point anyway, so congrats!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
First off, congrats, on buying your first fountain pen! Secondly, welcome to The Nib!

I have no experience with that specific model, but the general rule of thumb for cheap Chinese pens is that they are hit or miss. I've had three Jinhaos, and only one of them I've considered a good (manageable) pen. Like you mentioned, for $2.95 it's hard to go wrong, though. If the pen turns out to be a bit funny, then you could always replace the nib, utilize the converter, or use it as an experimental pen for nib tweaking and tuning. Like I mentioned to one of our members a week or two ago, if you try it and like it, then you should get another (more reputable and reliable) fountain pen. If you try it and don't like it, then you should try another fountain pen. Either way, have fun with it, and let us know if you have any questions! :thumbup:

Edit: If Doug say that they're okay, then they're okay with me! :001_smile

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I have a batch of Jinhao pens, Lamy copies, that I treat as expendable fountain pens. They work pretty well, especially for the price.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have had a Jinhao, it was a decent pen. It could, however, lead to more pen purchase :w00t:

Top Bottom