What's new

best safest, affordable deodorant

Hi i was using Speedstick Irish Spring scent antiperspirant for yrs, before that Mitchum unscented antiperspirant and all i recall before that was i started in about 1978 using Brut deodorant. Well i learned recently the ingredients in antiperspirant are thought of by many to be unhealthy. What i had been doing intuitively for heatlth reasons was using the Speedstick Mon to Fri and skipping it weekends. But now from my googling etc ive decided to use a safer deodorant instead (and never use antiperspirant again.) So far im using Brut deodorant (in the circular width container). This is affordable and works fine for my weekday mostly office use. I see it has polyethyne glycol in it which some say is toxic but its approved for nonfood use in US and a major ingredient in Tom's deodorants (which have a decent safety rep) and that ingredient is in some of my aftershaves too.... Im wondering if theres a better safer working alternative. Tabac solid deodorant is about 3x the price and has a very bad carcinogenic ingredient in it.. tri-something i read from my research. Tom's deodorants get bad reviews re effectiveness. Some of the ones from purported organic healthy ingredient companies have complaints with photos on Amazon with severe skin redness etc from the use of a lot of baking soda apparently. So im wondering what to try next, maybe Spiek or maybe stay with Brut. Looking for opinions but bear in mind the factors... no unsafe ingredients, affordable, works ok, and no high risk of skin redness etc.

Old spice original deoderant works great on me. I wouldn't worry about polyethylene glycol. It is not bad at all as far as toxicity goes.

Old spice original deodorant was reformulated in the last few yrs resulting in many complaints of skin redness, see Amazon reviews with photos and references to litigation.

I have to use Alum products, other stuff burns me really bad or doesn't work as good as alum products..An you can use on your face after a shave and on your feet if you have smelly feet..

Tom's works fine for me, and I like the Deep Forest fragrance. Some people, including myself sometimes, use plain baking soda.

I used to do Old Spice Deodorant but I get irritation so I use Degree. Works really well for me. But my pits dont sweat excessively.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Alum block. Nothing else is as effective. No scent. Cheap, long lasting. And when you buy an alum block for deoderant and use it for a couple of years before you have to buy more, you are stabbing the big monopolistic grooming/hygeine megacorporation that I won't name, right in its big bloated belly. They hate it when you don't buy their expensive smelly aerosol or roll on stuff.

Not sure about toxicity and stuff, but AP's never worked for me, so I always just used deodorant. Lately I've been using Chagrin Valley deodorant and it lasts about 3 months.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Alum block. Nothing else is as effective. No scent. Cheap, long lasting. And when you buy an alum block for deoderant and use it for a couple of years before you have to buy more, you are stabbing the big monopolistic grooming/hygeine megacorporation that I won't name, right in its big bloated belly. They hate it when you don't buy their expensive smelly aerosol or roll on stuff.

Wise words coming from a wise man. :thumbup1:

so you guys just wet an alum block, and that is supposed to stop you smelling for a day?

99% sure this wouldn't work for me, or it would work fine for 2 hours and then a scent would be present as time goes on.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
so you guys just wet an alum block, and that is supposed to stop you smelling for a day?

99% sure this wouldn't work for me, or it would work fine for 2 hours and then a scent would be present as time goes on.

Try it. It will surprise you. Alum creates a very inhospitable environment for bacteria, fungus, etc. Not only will it work fine for 2 hours, but it can even work fine for 2 days. Serious. Not saying you should start showering only every other day, but alum is capable of keeping odor causing germs in check for that long. And yes, just wet it and rub it where you need to rub it. Even works on feet.

The more often you reapply spray or roll on deoderant, the more you have to buy. P&G has no incentive to make it last a long time. They want you to hurry and use it all up, and buy a new can every couple of weeks. Cha-CHING!!! An alum block lasts a year or two. In two years, how many cans of Right Guard would you go through, and how much would it all cost? You are not important to the company. Your needs and preferences are unimportant. They don't feel responsible to the customer, only to the stockholders and especially the board of directors, who only care about profit. The advertising is supposed to MAKE you buy their stuff. And you pay for the advertising when you buy the product, which probably costs about 20% of its retail cost, to manufacture, if that. Yes, you are paying for your own brainwashing. With alum you are paying for... ALUM, which is cheap. And a label. Thats it. Even with a steep markup you are still getting a pretty good deal, and it works. It is not watered down to make you reapply it. It is solid, pure. Environmentally friendly.

Top Bottom