What's new

Stirling Syndicate

I use their bath soaps exclusively. I've never removed the plastic wrapper until it was ready to go in the shower and be used. I've also never had a problem with the scent fading in the time it takes to go through a bar of soap.

So that does sound unusual to me...

I've not had an issue with the bath soaps losing scent during use. I have one in the sock drawer that smells weaker than when I first purchased it, but that was over 6 months ago.

How long does a bar of bath soap last assuming everyday use?

Roughly 2 weeks of everyday use. I can make them last longer by cutting into 1/3 or quarter chunks. But I also had an executive man that lasted barely a week. I was very disappointed but I figured it simply needed more curing time since I purchased it when it was first available.

I'm going to test one in a duke cannon soap on a rope pouch to see if the stirling lasts longer.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by regularfella Funny you should bring this up. I bought the last 3 of his "Buck a Puck" deal. They arrived today.

I bought Unscented (tallow), Strawberry (tallow), and Citrus (non-tallow).

Lathering:

I'm just going to be honest here...I test lathered all three and they all leave a lot to be desired as a shaving soap as far as lather goes. I tried bowl lathering, palm lathering, and lathering on my arm (like face lathering...I get brush burn easily).

I loaded from the puck using my Omega '49 on my first tests and then took the pucks and rubbed them directly on my arm like I would a shave stick. The non tallow soap did the best, but I'm sorry, I won't be using any of these soaps to shave with. In my opinion they aren't ready. Maybe I missed something or maybe someone could tutor me on techniques to use with this particular soap...but for now, it just doesn't do it for me, lather wise. The lather in all 3 was airy, bubbly. About what you would expect trying to lather hand soap with a brush.

Scent:

The only scent that seemed to reflect the label was unscented. It smelled a lot like Valobra, which to me smells like saponified tallow, which isn't bad. The Citrus scented smelled nothing like citrus, nor did the Strawberry. If they weren't labelled as such there was no way I would be able to identify what they were supposed to be. They smelled like clay to me.

I hope they get better with the formulation, OR, I hope I figure out a way to lather it better, but for now, these are going into the back of my closet as they don't work very well for me.

I like supporting vendors who are members here. I'm sorry I have to report these results but I'd rather be honest than not. Maybe they can get it better.

I wrote that in 2012.

Today, I'm proud to say I have 12 full pucks of their soaps in my shave nook. These are now fantastic soaps and leave nothing to be desired for me. Every problem I listed above has been rectified and then some!

Also, I'd like to say that I LOVE the way they have their website laid out. I know I'm sensitive to Fragrance Oils but do OK with Essential Oils. Stirling has it laid out to where it's separated into either. Fantastic! I also shave with one of their stainless steel handled razors.

Good soaps, Good site, Good people. Call me a fan.

How long does a bar of bath soap last assuming everyday use?

For me, they last at least 4 weeks and that is everyday use in the shower and twice /day face and hand wash. I find that taking the bar out of the shower each time and storing it next to the sink helps. YMMV!

A bar of bath soap lasts me about a month of every day use. I keep the bar in the shower, but it's on a shower caddy that doesn't allow any water to pool around the bar. If the bar were to stay wet between showering I imagine it would last a lot less.

For application, I generally rub just a bit around my body, and then rub it on a scrunchie for about ten seconds. The little bit on the body helps to keep the lather going as you clean your body. Using this method there is no shortage of great lather.

I have found that a bar of soap lasts around 2-3 weeks. That is with me taking a shower every morning. And my wife taking a show most evenings. in addition, I use a loofah pad and actually apply the soap to that and then use that on my body to scrub. So I'm quite aggressively using the soap.

To me, the soap is incredible. There is no comparing this to Ivory which is what I used to use. It is superior in every way.

Here is a trick that I've been using that works real well. When the soap gets down to the point of being too thin and gets kind of bendy, I open up a new bar of soap and just stick the small one to one side of it. I do that at the end of the shower so that it sits for the whole day before anyone uses it and dries out. They attach to each other really well. This way, I don't lose even a little bit of soap.

I also keep the soap in a wire container so that one side doesn't stay in water when I'm done. This seems to work quite well. However, I do live where it is extremely humid all the time. I'm sure that accounts for going through the so a little quicker than I would otherwise. For me, I don't care. The soap is so good that I'm willing to spend a little bit more to get this kind of quality.

As to smell, it smells good down to the last. Maybe a bit less (or maybe I'm just more used to it) by the time it's almost used up. I wait to open the bar of soap until I'm ready to use it. I think that helps some.

If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it. I love it. The price is right (and I'm importing it into Central America paying a lot in taxes and shipping etc.) It's worth it.

Do we have any discount on the Stirling Soap Co. website? I want to order some aftershave balms. I searched the forum first, and didn't find any references.

Considering the regular prices for Stirling products, I consider them always on sale!
I told Rod that if he bumped the price on his soaps up I'd still buy them, he said No LOL

The MITA's menthol effect is strong, but the Glacials are way stronger. There was also a Glacial version of the MITA this summer which I received as a gift. The menthol effect makes the regular MITA feel warm! lolllllllll (it also lathers fantastically!)

So, I bought in total 10 Stirling shaving soaps. I love the scent, performance, and value of Stirling's products. Infortunately, I've developed a sensitivity to almond oil and it's an ingredient to every shave soap they make except the unscented.

I wrote Rod an email asking if almond oil was in all the scented soaps and he said yes. I told him my problem and he mailed me a full puck of his Unscented with Beeswax today for free.

I have to say, THAT is a fantastic soap. No burning or irritation with great performance. I know it says unscented, but I swear I can detect a faint lemony citrus in it. He also mailed me a sample of Naked and Smooth, but I haven't shaved with it yet. Overall, I am super pleased with the Unscented with Beeswax shaving soap. It's a real winner. You guys should try it. It's not scented but it does have a very clean and bright natural scent that I think is worth having for any Stirling Syndicate member.

Having said that, I have a stache of unused, or lathered once Stirling soap pucks available for cheap or trade to any members here. Just PM me.

From Facebook.

"We have some good news and some bad news and some good/bad news.

The good news is the slants have all been inspected and test-fitted with a blade and are up on the website.

The bad news is that the Satin Finish and etched logo were a bad choice on my part. I just don't like them as much as similar slants with chrome or black finish. It just leads to tiny imperfections being magnified.

The good/bad news is that we've made the decision to label the entire lot (140 ish right now, with 50 more still in transit) as FACTORY SECONDS and put them on the website at $12.99 and $13.99 depending on handle size. Good for you as it's a great way to try out a slant for next to nothing. Bad for us as we'll be taking a loss on the batch.

We have taken the caps off of each one to fit them with a blade to make sure the blade sits correctly and the tightening mechanism works properly. They will shave just as well as comparable models. However, some will have minor blemishes and anything less than perfection is not good enough.

Concurrent with this, we've been working with another of our suppliers on a slant head that will fit any of our other handles (or any standard threaded handle in general.

I hope you all have a wonderful start to your September!

Rod"

Top Bottom