What's new

Rank the True Reasons Why You are into Wet Shaving (Be Honest)

I know that the “it’s cheaper than cartridge shaving” issue is always thrown out there as a reason to switch to wet shaving. But honestly, so far I spend more on DE shaving than on cartridge shaving BY FAR—brushes, razors, blades, soaps, aftershaves… I already have enough shaving soaps in my bathroom to last me years!

So I sat back and figured out that the following are the real reasons why I am a dedicated wet shaver. Starting with the strongest motivation to least:

1. SKIN. My skin is in much better condition since switching. Night and day!! No more pimples, no more razor burn, and my face just feels a lot softer to the touch.

2. NOSTALGIA: I’m just into nostalgic things. I wear vintage watches, I listen to old music, I have old sports photos hanging all around, we live in an old house mostly loaded with vintage or timeless furnishings, I like going to the aviation museum and staring endlessly at the vintage aircraft. If I had a bigger garage, I’d have an antique automobile for sure.

3. RITUAL/MEDITATION: Always been an early riser. So the morning shave routine has become the highlight of my days. It’s awesome quiet, alone time.

4. REBELLION: I’m mad that I’ve been paying astronomical prices for cartridges all these years. I’d much rather give my business to the small businesses and artisan-like outfits that sell and/or create quality shave gear.

5. DISTRACTION/HOBBY: The Mrs. already knows that guys are going to spend money on some frivolous distraction whether she likes it or not. Whether it be archery, mountain biking, new surfboards, cigars, whatever. I’m sure men have been frustrating spouses by spending money on frivolous hobbies for centuries.

And that’s all I can think of. Notice that SAVINGS is not even listed. I’m not going to lie to myself. :001_smile

For me, the number one reason I switched was the amount of irritation and ingrown hairs I got from cartridges made shaving a hassle. Honestly, if I could consistently get close, smooth, irritation-free shaves from my old Gillette Fusion, I probably would, but I just can't.

Since starting DE shaving though, I'm finding that the 30-45 minutes I spend each night shaving provides a nice little ritualistic meditation where I'm alone with my thoughts, and I'm not being distracted by a constant stream of information from my phone and computer.

i've got tough skin, so the benefits aren't all that obvious there. I'd have to say, the #1 reason for my current shave ritual is the meditative time spent.
#2 is the variety. It's never the same shave two days in a row. I always change something.
#3 i'm learning something new.
#4 it's a pretty harmless hobby

2,3,5,4,1. I love the experience and the continues practice to improve technique combined with the right prep.

Thereby the fusion cartridges caused some ingrown hair now and then, due to the fact the hairs are automatically pulled before they get cut.

My first post...For me it was all about number 3 and the others just kind of became side effects. I have some issues with anxiety and rituals like this give me something positive to look forward to. I enjoy my rituals like making my morning coffee. Takes me 20 minutes to make one cup haha. I know I'm not saving money because I can't stop buying stuff, but it's money well spent to me. My skin has improved greatly even though I never thought anything was wrong with it before. It feels good to spend some time on yourself instead of treating it like a necessary chore.

I switched because of the poor shaves I got with cartridges. I think it became a hobby, and something I look forward to, because of all the great products and razors.

That's all that was available when I started shaving. I admit that I later tried canned aerosol shave cream from time to time, but it was so unsatisfactory that I always came back to soap and brush.

BadgerandBlade, and some other forums over the years, is the probably the main culprit but your five points chime in with my experience.

The ~$5 Superspeed I bought on the bst when I signed up alleviated the problem I felt of feeding money to Gillette and other similar companies. It's still my go to easy shaver and has been for some time my only DE.

Straight razors and sharpening stones have held my interest for a long while and has had a pretty big impact on my life. I've been interested in geology since I was tiny and being able to use and maintain an old bit of steel, almost simple enough for me to understand, on an very old bit of stone makes me smile.

The ritual and meditative side of things again comes forth most clearly when creating an edge on a stone and putting that edge to my neck.

• Reasons to Wet Shave
  • Save $$
  • Better Shave i.e. less irritation
  • Nostalgia
  • Bragging Rights to buddies
  • Different Soaps & Creams
  • You guys sucked me in & I enjoy it

Last edited:

I saved money switching from cartridges to electrics and thought DE would save more. It turned out not to be true by my second month, I was hooked on the variety of products and nostalgia. My improved skin condition was an added bonus. Could care less about looking rebellious though.

i found a red tip Gillette Super Speed at a yard sale for .25 cents,then i found blade for under a dollar,then i found a chepo badger brush and Williams mug soap.I received a higher quality shave for way less money and BAM,there i was.now the collecting of shaving memorabilia,did not start until I found my fellow regressor's here at B&B.and yes I do save money on my shave.so i spend a bit on my collection and stockpile,this has no impact on the price per shave

I tried wet shaving because I had to be clean shaven and my razor had crapped out. And I am a cheapskate at heart. I tried a DE with spoo in a can and kind of liked the experience. Then RAD kicked in because I had discovered a new hobby and all semblance of restraint went flying to the curb! :thumbup:

#1 was to try something different.
#2 was an article I read about how much better it was for your skin to shave with a saftey razor, brush and soap instead of using cart razors(they were so right)
#3 the nistalga when I was a kid I rember seeing my grandfater in the bathroom with a shave brush and soap and I thought that was so much cooler than using a can of shave cream.
#4 is it is relaxing after a long day of work I can put the kids to bed, put my brush soaking while I hop in a nice hot shower then i shave away.
#5 to possibly save money and so far I think I can. I don't plan on buying a whole bunch of razors, or brushes just a few here and there. Most of my planned spending will be on razors which aren't expensive and soap which again is not that costly unless you buy buttloads of it all at once so you can rotate different soaps like a lot on here do.

1. I started traditional shaving when I first started shaving and have found it to give me the best shaves.
2. I love to make lather with soaps and creams. Better than playing in a bathtub!
3. Thanks to my wife and kids, everyone knows how I shave and my reputation as a character remains unfoiled.

1. INTERNET HYPE - I bought into the internet shaving hype. If not for the internet I would have never tried it.

2. NOSTALGIA/DISTRACTION/HOBBY - I wanted to try what shaving was like back in the day.

3. RITUAL - I do enjoy the ritual and it is fun to try. However I never hated shaving with carts in the first place. It is fun however to put in the effort and be rewarded by not having a weeper.

4. REBELLION - I could care less. I just want a product that works. Although I wanted to try some non-Gillette offerings to see if I am getting the best product.

5. SKIN - I actually get a better skin feel out of carts. Good carts give me zero irritation or razor burn. DE shaving gives me some irritation, minor weepers, and is not as close on the neck.

6. COST - My DE starter kit cost ~$70, I could have bought 1.5 to 2 years worth of carts + shaving cream.

I can afford to spend $3 on a Mach 3 cart every few weeks. There are easier ways to save money in life.

Lets be honest here, to save money with DE you have to buy blades in bulk, and not buy the expensive artisan shaving soaps, boar brushes, hoard razors, etc. Unless you go through a Fusion blade after only a couple shaves, then yes, you are saving money by using DE.

It gives me 15 minutes of extra time in the bathroom to try to figure out whatever it is my wife does in the bathroom for an hour and a half everyday. I still haven't figured it out yet.

1. Ingrowns.. I always got them and some were so bad it took weeks to get rid of them.
2. I like razors .. all kinds.. Gillette and other manufactures made so many it was impossible to get bored collecting.
3. I still enjoy going to a far away antique store and finding the occasional razor.

1. Smoother shaves
2. My rig is what I first shaved with, 50 years ago
3. Various great-smelling soaps, creams, and AS
4. Soothing ritual

Top Bottom