What's new

Checking in from Seattle

It's now been about 2 weeks since I started wet shaving. I had my most recent shave yesterday and it was a joy. Still using the Astra blade - but I think that was the last shave with it. I've settled in to Proraso Green, my Standard razor, my great little marble shaving bowl and boar brush and I'm liking the Tiger after shave.

Also, for me what's really working is a quick wash of my face prior to shaving (no shower - it makes my skin too sensitive prior to shaving), and only two passes with the razor.

Really enjoying this journey and getting much better shaves!

Up next? I think I'll try a new blade. Any suggestions?

Hi, welcome to B&B

If you like Astra, you'll probably like the other Russian blades........
Gillette Rubie, Sputnik, Ladas, Voskhod, Rapira Super Stainless, Rapira Swedish Supersteel, Rapira Platinum Lux, check out some of the Russian eBay sellers, they do some reasonably priced sampler sets, add 1 or 2 other items, most sellers have razors and shaving creams, they'll give you a generous combined shipping discount

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. A blade I find similar to the Astra SP is the German Wilkinson. I really like both.

Glad to hear of your progress. Blade suggestions: try the Personna Reds, Labs, or Medical Prep blades.

Time to give the feather a try, I've been DE shaving for 2 months and find the feathers are beyond awesome, nothing to be afraid of. I did try crystal before astra, and preferred them to the astra.

It's now been about 2 weeks since I started wet shaving. I had my most recent shave yesterday and it was a joy. Still using the Astra blade - but I think that was the last shave with it. I've settled in to Proraso Green, my Standard razor, my great little marble shaving bowl and boar brush and I'm liking the Tiger after shave.

Also, for me what's really working is a quick wash of my face prior to shaving (no shower - it makes my skin too sensitive prior to shaving), and only two passes with the razor.

Really enjoying this journey and getting much better shaves!

Up next? I think I'll try a new blade. Any suggestions?
What blades do you have have to try?

Welcome to B&B. I like Treet Durasharps, but you need to find what works best for you. A blade sampler from one of our vendors is a good way to try out different brands. I use West Coast Shaving.

Last night, tried a Big Ben. Ugh. Not a fan. Lots of nicks, lots of missed hairs. I have a sampler :). Now - I showered prior to shaving which I don't typically like as it makes my skin overly sensitive. I'll give the Big Ben one more shot without a shower.

First pass with it was actually pretty great, but second was horrid. I may try the Treet next.

Welcome. I used the Astra SP almost exclusively for 3 years..... a very good blade. But two years ago in Hawaii I went into Longs Drugs looking for some blades. They had some German Wilkinsons and I haven't looked back since. Give them a try. You'll like them.

On a side note, I will be in your area, actually Bonney Lake, next week looking for a home. Retired a year ago and can't wait to leave California! So I'll be looking for places that carry shaving supplies. Ideas??

Top Bottom