What's new

G Adjustable Not Adjusting

I have a long black handle adjustable that is very mild even I change it to 9, that, on my fatboy will give me a hell of a close shave. But the long adjustable doesn't. It is just mild, even milder than a blue tip Super Speed. I never really suspect that it has problem because it turns and clicks okay. Also I can see the distance between the lower part moves when I turn the setting ring.

However, today I finally noticed that the gap between the blade and the bar doesn't change at all no matter what setting I use. What can I do to fix it? Any help?:confused:

The problem may be that you are changing the adjustment after having tightened down the TTO. Try setting the adjustment, then tightening it down.

Just a guess, here, but worth a try.

You may want to try changing the "clock" settings on the razor. I believe that there's a "click" stop that's similar to the fatboy. If so, gently press the clicker in, use a small screwdriver or something similar. I use the end of a nylon comb on my fatboys. Press the clicker in and gently turn the adjusting knob past the 9 until it clicks to the 1. That will result in the razor being reset so that the 1 is now beyond where the 9 used to be.

I don't own one of these, but I know that this can easily be done on a fatboy which can also be easily disassembled and checked to see if all the parts are there.

I don't know if your adjustable has a press-fit plate at the bottom, if it does, it too can be easily disassembled by placing a properly sized (5mm?) ratchet socket against the plate and gently hammering it in. That will spread the crimp and you'll be able to take the razor apart. Pull the bottom plate off and you'll be able to see if there's anything wrong with the parts. Be careful to ensure that the parts don't fly out (assuming there's a spring in it). To reassemble, just crimp the plate using a pair of pliers.

Ontario: you are awesome! I used the first method and it was very easy to reset the long adjustable. It works perfectly now! Thank you!!!

I love B&B!

Ontario, you're a genius. I just bought the same razor as Ximhot (late model, Gillette slim with long black handle and gold head) on eBay and after a couple shaves just figured it was broken. I'd do three passes cranked up to 7, 8, or 9 and still feel like I had a 5 o'clock shadow. I checked the safety blade alignment to make sure it wasn't bent, but everything looked fine.

Last night after reading your post, I did the click reset and this morning dialed it down low (2 or 3) and got a great shave. My razor has been saved! I looked closely at the blade spacing now and a 2 or 3 on the adjustable looks close to my late-50's SS. I love the weight, balance and handle length of the long slim and am so happy it's now shaving up to its potential. Much thanks!

You may want to try changing the "clock" settings on the razor. I believe that there's a "click" stop that's similar to the fatboy. If so, gently press the clicker in, use a small screwdriver or something similar. I use the end of a nylon comb on my fatboys. Press the clicker in and gently turn the adjusting knob past the 9 until it clicks to the 1. That will result in the razor being reset so that the 1 is now beyond where the 9 used to be.

Top Bottom