What's new

Is almond oil a skin irritant?

I just purchased a bunch of soaps (9) from an artisan soap maker and I'm having no luck. They perform beautifully, and for the most part I like their scents.

However, the more I use them the more they are starting to burn me. Starts off with a tingling/burning sensation on my upper lip. Not sure, but I think I'm developing some sort of sensitivity. This happens whether they are scented with FO or EO.

The only other ingredients they have in common that might cause this, I think, are almond oil and lanolin. I use MWF and Mike's all the time with no issues.

So, is it a thing to have a reaction to almond oil? I did a google search and all I found was people praising the effects of putting it on their face.

Any help appreciated.

Grab a stick of Arko and see what happens.

If soaps from a different manufacture are fine, then you may need to switch who you purchase from.

Almond oil is a common allergen. Some soapmakers specifically avoid using it, for this reason.

+1 A lot of people do have reactions to Almond oils. Some almond oil soaps I can use and others I get a mild burning sensation from. Other common fragrance oils that people have reactions to are cinnamon and sometimes citrus. Finding what bothers your face is an individual thing as we all react to things differently. The other thing is that you can be using a soap for years and then have a reaction to it all of a sudden. So there's no guarantees as our bodies are always changing and adapting.

I've found that overall I've had a reaction to about one to two percent of the soaps I've tried, so it's not common for me but if you try enough you'll likely find some that don't agree with you. The reaction ranges from a very slight burning sensation that feels like a mild case of razorburn where I can still use the soap but don't like to, to an all out it feels like my face is on fire, get this stuff off of me situation.

Here's some advice... when I first try a new soap I scoop (with a plastic spoon) enough out for one shave. I'll lather this soap in a bowl and not in the soap tub. This way if I have a reaction I can trade, sell or PIF a brand new soap with a small sample removed as opposed to a used soap that's been lathered.

Last edited:
Lanolin is also a frequent culprit. Have you tried other soaps with lanolin? If you have, and you didn't react to them, then it's probably the almond oil. If not, try another soap that has lanolin but not almond oil and see if it causes a reaction. It if does, then you know it's the lanolin; if not, then it's probably the almond oil.

Allergy to peanuts is really common. Allergy to tree nuts is less common, but certainly not rare. I know a lot of soapmakers avoid almond oil in their products for that very reason.

Arko is fine for me. I love it, in fact.

I use MWF, Mike's, and LEA all the time so it's not the lanolin, that's why I'm thinking it has to be the almond oil.

I appreciate the response, guys. Oh well, off to the BST I go.

Once upon a time, not too long ago, I used a sample of Cella that I had just received. It face lathered wonderfully and the resultant shave was excellent; however, my face was a bit aggravated during the shave. Cella being the only variable, I looked up the ingredients and found that one of them was Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil, which is Sweet Almond Oil. I AM ALLERGIC TO ALMONDS. ALMONDS are a common allergen.

On the upside, my neighbor is NOT allergic to almonds. So, I gave him the Cella, my Merkur 23c, Parker Brush, a variety of razor blades and other items and he is now a convert to DE shaving.

Top Bottom