What's new

Kentucky fried chicken Secret recipe, maybe

Interesting. Of course it would be in the interest of KFC to say that this recipe is also bogus, even if it's the real thing. Or, it could be bogus.

But it looks like an interesting blend. I've got half a mind to make a small amount of it (maybe substituting tsps for Tbsps) and try it out as a seasoning for at-home use. Might be really tasty.

Or I might spice it up with some cayenne or something. Anyway, thanks for the link.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Interesting. Of course it would be in the interest of KFC to say that this recipe is also bogus, even if it's the real thing. Or, it could be bogus.

But it looks like an interesting blend. I've got half a mind to make a small amount of it (maybe substituting tsps for Tbsps) and try it out as a seasoning for at-home use. Might be really tasty.
Or I might spice it up with some cayenne or something. Anyway, thanks for the link.

Here is a link from the original Tribune article, test kitchen results.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/recipes/ct-kfc-recipe-test-20160818-story.html

To paraphrase, "just as good, but with the addition of MSG, it was liked better"
They also went into the teaspoon-tablespoon use in the recipe.
Corporate HQ is not going to be happy.

Hm, I never really thought their chicken was that outstanding, much less made with a specific highly guarded blend of spices.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Out of all the great recipes for fried chicken, why would anyone want to duplicate theirs?

My Popeye's knockoff is much better.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hm, I never really thought their chicken was that outstanding, much less made with a specific highly guarded blend of spices.

Out of all the great recipes for fried chicken, why would anyone want to duplicate theirs?

Not to be churchy here, but we always went to Churches after church. Chicken livers at Churches after church is pretty good.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Like a number of things, I recall KFC being pretty good in the 60's. But last time I tried it (15 years ago maybe) it was awful, greasy and with an off taste like it had been pre-made then zapped in one of those aluminized boxes like they want you to cook pot pies in ..

Need to maybe try this one, I have all the secret ingredients save the MSG. But deep frying at home is a mess. I do wish there was a good fryer of chicken around, maybe in the winter will go look. It may just be tastes have changed & I prefer el pollo done up on the Green Egg now

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Like a number of things, I recall KFC being pretty good in the 60's. But last time I tried it (15 years ago maybe) it was awful, greasy and with an off taste like it had been pre-made then zapped in one of those aluminized boxes like they want you to cook pot pies in ..

Need to maybe try this one, I have all the secret ingredients save the MSG. But deep frying at home is a mess. I do wish there was a good fryer of chicken around, maybe in the winter will go look. It may just be tastes have changed & I prefer el pollo done up on the Green Egg now
I have two within 3 miles of my house. One is horrible, as you describe, the other one is excellent. They have different owners and management staffs.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have two within 3 miles of my house. One is horrible, as you describe, the other one is excellent. They have different owners and management staffs.

Say it ain't so- what is the reason for a restaurant chain other than consistency? Or to plaster ugly advertising all over the Kentucky Derby?

I don't make or buy fried chicken much anymore. But when I was a kid (70s) Kentucky Fried Chicken was a real treat for the family. I remember it being really delicious, but it's lost a bit in the last few decades. And the stores are very inconsistent. We had one near us that was so bad it finally closed, while another one a couple of miles away thrives.

I'm gonna make the spice mixture. I think it sounds like it might make a good seasoning mix for genera use, even if it never sees any real fried chicken. (besides which, I have a southern fried chicken recipe handed down to my from a little old lady who lived in Alabama most of her life. It's fantastic.)

agree with the pressure fryer. worked in a restaurant in San Diego that my parents owned. fresh delivered whole chickens, hand cut, brined overnight and then twice breaded into large Broasted Chicken fryers. we delivered on little Hondas. sat in neighborhood with 3 large schools near a college too. man did it taste good and sell. hell at 16 I could cut a case in five minutes and still have all my fingers.

The chicken and potatoes tasted better in the 1960's. It was never the same after the Colonel sold it and even he would criticize what they did to it. I can still remember getting a 3-piece meal of the good stuff and a drink for $1.25. Of course, I also paid $.25 for a pack of smokes back then. God, I'm old.

The chicken and potatoes tasted better in the 1960's. It was never the same after the Colonel sold it and even he would criticize what they did to it. I can still remember getting a 3-piece meal of the good stuff and a drink for $1.25. Of course, I also paid $.25 for a pack of smokes back then. God, I'm old.

Growing up in LA I saw one of the early food home deliver businesses.

Jingle: "Don't cook tonight, call Chicken DELIGHT"

This was back in the 50's LONG before fast food was even a "concept" much less the daily meals it is today

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I was going to say the same thing. KFC never has been very high on my list of places to visit.

Still, it's pretty cool to see that recipe. Authentic or not, it looks good.

Top Bottom