What's new

What's the mildest Gillette tech?

Hey all. Had my first shave with a tech, and I loved the flatter head. Just wondering if the tech experts out there could recommend the mildest tech to hunt down.

Mine was an L2 English made tech, found in Canada and the person who traded it to me seemed to think it might be military surplus stuff from the late 1960s.

I like light weight handles and ultra gentle razors. Right now my daily driver is a Slim on 1 setting. What should I be gunning for?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
A Tech is one fine razor.

Keep the razor that you have.

A Slim: A setting of 3 is a good setting. That's what I use when I use a Fatboy.

US made post war era Tech(rectangular slots) would be the mildest IMO.

Also check out "New" short comb version; same flat head design. Don't let the open comb scare you. It's mildness is right there with the Tech.

I agree that its most likely the mildest you can get besides a Star Razor. You can make a Razor only so mild because it will not shave the beard properly if its way too mild.

The all bakelite tech or the tech they made for the south american market with the clear plastic baseplate

$image.jpg
1980 Brazilian Tech... Very mild!

Thanks guys, I'll try to track something down. Used the tech for the second time, I understand all the "efficient shaver" comments. Two straight forward passes yields a damn close shave. Just don't think my face could handle it every day.

I must admit the grand shave king has intrigued me for years. But whenever I poke around it either seems ludicrously expensive or just outright scarce. Maybe if I ever land a gig where I'm earning serious bank, then I'll try to hunt one down in earnest.

Thanks for the recommendation on the new open comb, I'll check that out as well.

As for something being too mild, well thats different strokes for different folks. I'd like something as mild as my black beauty on 1, with the flat head of a tech. My search will continue.

For me a tech is as mild as I'm willing to go. I had a Grand Shave King for a short time. I would agree it is laughably mild. I can laugh about it because I found mine in the wild for very cheap. If I paid the price they go for, I wouldn't find it near as funny. It may work for you, but It is the only razor I couldn't at least get a SAS out of. If you want mild I would suggest a Slim (or a Fatboy would be slightly better) you can dial it down to where you want it. An aluminum handled Black Tip or a Blue Tip may also work. Also I've never tried one, but a lot of guys swear by the Schick Krona.

I have that blade gap wiki to be pretty damn unreliable in predicting mildness of a shave.

Also I found the blue tip to be not very mild at all.

Top Bottom