What's new

Allowing soap to dry .

I just drain off any (very occasional) excess water and put the lid back on. Any lather on the surface of the soap dries and turns back into by the time I use the soap again.

My current soap is the only soap I gave used so far and it's impossible for me to put a lid on it since it sits in the vdh apothecary bowl it came in. I cant wait to try better Soap's :)

I guess it would depend upon the manufacturer. I know that RazoRock recommends complete drying of some of their soaps before covering.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I put the lid back on when I'm done shaving, stick it in the drawer or cabinet, and don't worry about it until the next time. There's no standing water on the thing, just a bit of lather.

Frankly, I do not worry about drying. In the AM I pick an appealing puck and go to work, adjusting the amount of water as needed. YMMV..

Nice Old Spice collection!

thank you sir.I'm still missing several and Will work for Old Spice Mugs:w00t:

As for soap storage we have but to look at how our dad's/granddad's did this.The brush was left in the only mug/cup they had for the most part,never washed out,the razor was rinsed and left to dry till the next shave.It was nothing as fancy as we get to have today.it was utilitarian and as necessary ritual as the daily rear.

I don't worry about drying, but then again I live in Arizona. Things are just dry here. I may have a different opinion if I lived somewhere humid...

Drying lets the scent evaporate faster. That may or may not be good depending on whether you like the scent or not. I like softer soaps and strong scent so I never dry it open.

I like to preserve the scent and since I'll likely have a jar for a few years, I keep the lids on the ones that come with them. For those that don't come with lids, I don't go out of my way, unless they're going in storage for a while then I put them in a ziplock.

Soaps will definitely lose their scent over time, so if you keep them covered then the scent lasts longer.

As Bhugo said, leaving the soap open to dry will allow the scent to dissipate much more quickly. I sometimes leave the lid off while shaving, and sometimes I just put the tub upside down. Either way, there is never enough excess water on the soap for either of these actions to matter and in the rare event that too much water ends up in the tub, I just empty it in the sink immediately after loading.

I've left the cap off my Arko going on 2 years and it still smells like Pledge. My Tabac has been in a mug for over 2 years and still smells fine. Letting them dry for a few hours isn't going to hurt. You would replace an in use soap before the scent weakens.

I use a vintage Currier & Ives mug filled with Arko. In between shaves I leave it hanging from an S-hook, wide-open at the top. I figure I do not cover my shower soaps so there is no reason to cover shave soaps. Yes, leaving it open allows the Arko scent to waft out, but I rather like that scent so it is no big deal. Others may think differently.

thank you sir.I'm still missing several and Will work for Old Spice Mugs:w00t:

As for soap storage we have but to look at how our dad's/granddad's did this.The brush was left in the only mug/cup they had for the most part,never washed out,the razor was rinsed and left to dry till the next shave.It was nothing as fancy as we get to have today.it was utilitarian and as necessary ritual as the daily rear.
+1

Top Bottom