What's new

OTC Wool Dress Socks

I'm starting a new job and I need to replace my aging sock fleet. I'm a traditional guy when it comes to socks, only solid colors and I'd like my new fleet to be wool.

What does everyone suggest?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You can usually get Panterella socks at Sierra Trading Post at a decent discount. Great socks.

One thing ... once you settle on your preferred brand, colour &c, ... get a whole bunch, exactly the same. Not only does that make sorting the laundry soooo much easier, but it makes your socks last longer (in that if you have a dozen different pairs, whenever one sock dies, that pair dies ... you only need 12 socks to die for all your pairs of socks to die ... but if you have 12 identical pairs, you need 23 socks to die before you no longer have any pairs.)

strop

Now half as wise
They are few and far between these days. Last time I was in Macy's they had NONE. I asked one of the sales staff just in case I missed them. She said they had so little demand they were no longer carrying them. I found some a JAB but they were on closeout, so not sure what the status is going forward.

Brooks Brothers always carries wool socks. I prefer wool socks even in summer because they keep my feet dry. There may be a sale coming up at Brooks Bros. so keep an eye out

I've liked SmartWool when on closeout. But I was unable to take Doc4's advice and am now left with mismatched black dress socks because they no longer have mates or the sock got a snag on a rough piece of flooring or a puppy...

Luckily I rarely need dress socks.

But depending on my shoes I have different thickness of socks to go with said shoes. So I have socks dedicated to the shoes I wear...

... whenever one sock dies, that pair dies ... you only need 12 socks to die for all your pairs of socks to die ... but if you have 12 identical pairs, you need 23 socks to die before you no longer have any pairs.)
Isn't this a great mystery? I have wondered why one sock dies but the other does not.

1. Did it get unluckly in the sock wash/dry rotation and mating into pairs to get worn extra times
  2. Did it get worn on the leading/favored/heavy foot too often
  3. Did it get manufactured with less threads or inferior threads

This is my go to sock.
http://tekoforlife.com/collections/mens/products/sin3rgi-organic-unisex-light-hiking-socks-brown
Much more comfortable (and consistent sizing) than anything from smartwool.
[For some reason, above link does not work when clicked, even though it is correct, but you can get to the sock from here:
type -- http://tekoforlife.com/ -> mens.]

You can get it MUCH cheaper from REI:
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/895604/teko-merino-sin3rgi-light-hiking-socks

The actual color is much darker than what is shown on the websites.

I heard about these on one of the laundry forums that I frequent, but I have no experience with the product:
https://shop.hanrousa.com/product/unisex-walkie-light-weekend-sock/?color=

Last edited:
Very good quality over-the-calf merino wool socks can be had for short money at Lands End, esp with their frequent sales / couponing.

I wear a size 10 shoe, have sturdy calfs and the Medium merino wool socks fit perfect. No excessive heel fabric, not so high they reach the knee and they stay in place without cutting off your circulation

After about 2 - 3 years; I do a full on purge of the sock drawer and get 10 new pairs of black OTC socks, which takes care of all my workday requirements - no matching issues, ever.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Isn't this a great mystery? I have wondered why one sock dies but the other does not.

1. Did it get unluckly in the sock wash/dry rotation and mating into pairs to get worn extra times
  2. Did it get worn on the leading/favored/heavy foot too often
  3. Did it get manufactured with less threads or inferior threads
Is the skin on one heel rougher than the other?

Is the skin on one heel rougher than the other?

Are you putting equal weight on both feet?

(But technically, the socks should be getting "rotated" between legs/feet.)

What I have noticed is that socks bought around the same time start to develop holes more or less at the same time. I just have to pay closer attention to see the wear on the one without the hole, and it's typically on a matter of a few more cycles of wearing/washing till it also gets its holes.

Top Bottom