What's new

recommend a leather bag at 500-600 $

Hi guys-I need a recommendation for a bag. I want it to be lightweight yet made out of leather and something that I can use for the next 20/30 years - perhaps longer. Something like the Filson leather satchel - but cheaper. I will primarily keep it in my car and at most walk 2-3 minutes to my office.

I saw saddleback but I think it would be heavy. But I would greatly appreciate any input.

Anyone familiar with http://www.tusting.co.uk/leather-briefcases-and-bags-for-him/leather-briefcases-satchels

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... I want it to be lightweight yet made out of leather and something that I can use for the next 20/30 years - perhaps longer. ...

Quality, durable leather is going to not be lightweight. You may be better off looking at canvas or waxed cotton, with leather trim. (But IMHO if all I intended was a 3-minute walk from car to office and back, the "weight" of a good leather briefcase would not be an issue to me.)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Quality, durable leather is going to not be lightweight. You may be better off looking at canvas or waxed cotton, with leather trim. (But IMHO if all I intended was a 3-minute walk from car to office and back, the "weight" of a good leather briefcase would not be an issue to me.)
Agreed- durable leather will not be light

For something lighter and less expensive look at cambridgesatchel.com. I got my wife a purse from them, and well made, with a wide choice of colors and styles, purses through satchel and briefcase styles. Personally I like my Saddleback large satchel, not as light but definetly more robust and durable. I also have a front pocket briefcase which with the two front pockets, and a narrow tubular slot between is far handier.

The thin, light leather is not really durable and you'll be lucky to get 5-10 years out of a bag made of it. If you really want long term then you're going to have to look at something made from a more durable leather.

Hi - can highly recommend Tusting stuff - they are a great brand, everything genuinely made in England, I've been to the factory on one of their open days - awesome place. I've got a really old one of their briefcases (like this one) which is roomy but not heavy and has proven very robust - I love it. I don't think they are that well known, but anyone I've met that does know of them is a fan. And loads of people ask me where I got my bag. Def worth the money anyway, which is more than can be said for many other, much better-known brands....!

Top Bottom