What's new

Going to Turkey this weekend - any good products to buy?

Hi - I'm a long time reader of this site but this is my first post. I just started wet shaving around 10 months ago and already have 3 different shaving soaps sitting on my counter! I'm going Turkey this weekend for a family trip and want to check out some shaving products while I'm there. Turkish barbers are the best in the world - (in my opinion) - and I always make sure to get a shave and a haircut when I'm there. A friend of mine is a barber there and is going to take me to a barber supply store where I'm assuming thy will have a lot of shaving products.

Is there anything in particular that is good to pick up while there? I see a lot of products I've purchased here, like blades for instance, have Turkish writing on them but I don't think they are actually Turkish brands. I want to try to find some things that I can't normally get here. Am going to ask my friend to recommend some things as well.

Was also thinking of picking up a shaving bowl there. I know I've seen antique looking copper ones there but not sure how well those work. I have a ceramic bowl I use now that I'm not happy with.

Any tips or advice are most welcome!

Thanks

H

Have fun! Arko and a bowl for sure! It is always fun to walk into the shops to see what they have.

Safe travels to you.

proxy.php

Was also thinking of picking up a shaving bowl there. I know I've seen antique looking copper ones there but not sure how well those work.

H
I have one of the hammered copper ones and like it a lot. They are tin plated on the inside, and the dimples help to develop the lather. Also it looks cool on display in your bathroom and you can even hang it on a hook. Got mine on flea-bay, but I'll bet you can get them for about $5 over there. :thumbup1:

I have one of the hammered copper ones and like it a lot. They are tin plated on the inside, and the dimples help to develop the lather. Also it looks cool on display in your bathroom and you can even hang it on a hook. Got mine on flea-bay, but I'll bet you can get them for about $5 over there. :thumbup1:

+1. This

proxy.php

Arko and Derby shaving - also check out other Turkish shaving sticks
Zaza blades - also check out other blades too, Astra, Racer, Rapira, Shark and German Wilkinson Sword are cheap from Turkish sellers on eBay, I'll bet they're even cheaper in Turkey
Hammered copper shaving mugs, bowls and Moscow Mule Mugs
Boar and Horsehair shaving brushes
Turkish towels

where are you from? If you're american buy few wilkinson sword classic razors, for you one will be enough but there is always a potential wet shaver among your friends and family.
Also Arko soap and derby blades.
Fellow b&b member gave you advice about helmet, I+ll say don't forget bulletproof vest

Last edited:
I spent over two weeks there. I found that the various products there are exactly the same as what can be found on the auction sites. However, finding and buying off the auction sites is actually easier. Any particular store would have but a limited selection of DE gear; usually YUMA razors, Arko sticks, Bic and Perma-Sharp blades, an Arko cream or two, and a selection of inexpensive brushes. There, like here, the greater space goes to cartridges, disposables, and goo. Sometimes you can happen on a lucky find at a bazaar.

Ha - thanks guys. I'm American but the wife is Turkish. She's there already and says things are fine. Not nearly as bad as it sounds on TV. I have quite a shopping list now! I was planning on getting one of those copper bowls. Was wondering how good they are.

Half a baguette of kokorec @ Sampiyon Kokorec just off Istiklal Caddesi with the spicy pickles and ayran is not to be missed! Around Turnacibasi and sort of parallel and downhill of this one there is a slew of wonderful antique shops and when I was there in June Turkish shaving eccentricities were plentiful.

Top Bottom