What's new

Active shooter drill

The main hospital that I work in just had its first active shooter drill today. It has served to strengthen my resolve to always carry when possible. When I made the transition from being down range and in field hospitals to private sector hospitals, it was a no-brainer to continue to carry a sidearm because I was in inner city Baltimore (a real battle zone). For the past few years I have been in friendlier climes, and my resolve to carry daily has sometimes waivered. Today's active shooter drill (which I helped plan), really brought home the reality that the unthinkable can happen anywhere.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The interesting part is when your employer makes it illegal for you to carry/possess.

Murder and terrorism are illegal too, but happen because - get ready - not everyone obeys laws.

Laws don't stop bad people from doing bad things; a fact some dense people- even lawmakers! don't get.

So when the day comes, you're disarmed by law- and get killed by someone who (gasp!) breaks the law.

("Why the nerve! We passed a law just so this terror-murder business wouldn't happen!" - idiot pol.)

If you can protect yourself legally- lucky you. You don't work in a gun-free murder zone.

AA

remember, no politics here at B&B. legal discussion is OK, I'm pretty sure.

Good for you, diverdoug. I've resolved myself to carry everywhere I legally can. Every day. No excuses. It's my duty to do so.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Interested to know what your active shooter drill consisted of. Was it more than lock down , hide, be a good victim? My hospital has these wonderful "No weapons" decals on the doors and "subject to search". Very recently a doctor was murdered in an adjacent office (connected to the main hospital) building. They must not have had the decals. It's cheaper to replace a dead employee than to settle a lawsuit. I would surely hate to loose my job and health benefits for being able to defend myself.

We decided with our public safety dept, and the local PD that this first drill would simulate a take down with these 2 departments working together. Other staff was asked to practice avoidance with this drill. Subsequent drills will work on kinetic defensive actions by the staff.

Our hospital is currently in a don't ask-don't tell situation as far as rules go. The law concerning this is a little hazy, because we provide psychiatric services in our hospital. Florida state law does not allow concealed carry in psychiatric institutions, but there is no case law dealing with hospitals that provide psych care as part of their services. So those that carry just keep it on the down low. With respect to your question if we "hide and be a good victim", this is not practical, because the majority of the patients we have in our care in the trauma bays and OR trauma unit can not really be hidden easily because most are on ventilators, and almost none of them are able to be transported in wheelchairs and must remain in stretchers. Our main response options for an active shooter scenario are denial of access measures, or kinetic response directed at the aggressor. Having said this, we make it clear that no staff is compelled to put themselves in further danger.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I wish my hospital was as enlightened as yours seems to be. As I work in the ICU I understand the dilemma you mention with regards to immobile patients.

Interested to know what your active shooter drill consisted of. Was it more than lock down , hide, be a good victim?

From what I'm reading, the "hide" portion of the "run, hide, fight" trio is facing a reevaluation among those who think about this stuff for a living. Too many who hide get killed.

My hospital has these wonderful "No weapons" decals on the doors and "subject to search".

This is all about state law, and it's up to individuals to know what's permitted. For instance, with my permit in Maine I can carry everywhere except Federal property, any courthouse, any school, any establishment serving liquor with a proper sign posted. Employers can ban guns in the workplace but not from their employees' cars in the parking lot. That's it. Trainers advise you that if you go to an establishment serving alcohol (and no prohibition) it's probably best not to drink.

I mention this only because this morning at the range one of the guys was complaining that his credit union is now sporting "no firearms" signs which, as far as I can tell, are not legally binding. It's perfectly possible that your hospital cannot in fact lawfully ban firearms from their premises--they just didn't bother to check. What's more, it's possible that the patients can legally carry but the employees cannot.

It's a nightmare, basically.

And confession time: I carry in my post office. :thumbup1:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
At this job, we can't carry (and I don't)- supposed to flee, or hide under desk and wait to be killed- but we're allowed to throw a book or stapler: only as a last resort, though. Terrorists DO have civil rights; look at "Major-workplace-violence" Hassan.

I timed one of our security responses; only about 15 minutes.

I have a pair of low-bidder-built scissors, a poor substitute for what's at home, legally locked up.

AA

EDIT: Personally owned- and prohibited- firearms help stop an islamic terror attach in TN:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Chattanooga_shootings

Food for (illegal) thought.

Last edited:
It's perfectly possible that your hospital cannot in fact lawfully ban firearms from their premises--they just didn't bother to check. :thumbup1:
In Florida a hospital (or any other business) can prohibit firearms. If you ignore the rule and are caught, if you are not employee all the business can do is ask you to leave. BUT, nothing keeps you from getting fired if you are an employee and break the rules. YUP, they can do that.

Good on you for carrying, diverdoug. Let's hope that ytou never, ever have to use your weapon, but kudos to you for your alertness.

Everyone knows the BSA motto - "Be Prepared"

Top Bottom