What's new

What size scale do I need?

I picked up a blade that measures 11/16. Is this a 5/8 or 6/8? I want to put new scales on it and need to order the right size.

Ya know, this situation would never happen with the metric system... :laugh:

$take.jpeg

In addition to the blade width you need to be aware of the distance from the pivot hole to the toe. Most, or at least many, pre made ready to assemble scales will fit and provide the needed blade protection provided the total length is correct. I asked a similar question when setting out to make my own scales and was provided very good information about the normal arc that is needed to provide the gentle curve you see in the scale. Basically it had to do with the length and width. I am sure there are many places to find scales but I have only really looked at Maggards (maggard razors) to find a set of generic plastic scales ...I never bought/used them but the price was right and I would have used them had my attempts failed.

I am far from expert in this field but I have run across many different styles and sizes, I think most any set you find will fit that blade as long as the length is correct. Remember the scales are going to have a wedge or spacer at the end and account for that when measuring.

...as for measuring blades using the metric system ... no one knows how to really measure a blade anyway so why bother. I've read instructions to measure from the top of the spine to the edge, measure from the top of the hone mark on the spine to the edge, measure from the edge to the middle of the tang in line with the pivot ...It does make you wonder though, how did we start describing blade width in fractional inches in the first place? ...And why do hair clipper guards have numbers, did we get so lazy we couldn't continue using fractions?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Ya know, this situation would never happen with the metric system... :laugh:

You metric guys... next you will want a 10 hour day with 100 minute hours and 100 second minutes. For the math-challenged, metric is just the easy way out of having to think about fractions. MRFTD.

Top Bottom