What's new

How do you dispose of your blades while traveling?

I recently switched to using an SE razor (the oneblade) that takes a spineless feather SE blade. I will be traveling with it for the first time this weekend.
I am wondering how you dispose of your razor blades while traveling? In the past with a DE it was not an issue, as I could use the same blade for a short trip. If I was taking a longer trip of a week or more I would simply take a Derby with me because they come in the plastic containers and I could dispose of the blade in the back of the holder as designed.
However, the Feather SE in the Oneblade does not hold up well on me for more then one shave, so even on a short trip I will have to dispose of a couple blades.
I will be staying in a hotel and certainly don't want the maids to cut themselves. Right now I am thinking the easiest thing to do would be to wrap them in copious amounts of toilet paper and throw them away, so no one will cut themselves on the blade, but I am sure there are other guys here who travel with SE blades and have a better way of getting rid of them. Certainly don't want to use the real estate in my dopp bag to pack a blade bank.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks Lenaud. I literally hit send and thought to myself...an altitude tin would work.

There is so much good knowledge on this site sometimes it's easier to ask before you think through an issue yourself.

A package of Tic Tacs costs about 99 cents and it's sold in precisely a zillion places. Once the container's empty, it's a great container for used razor blades.

Actually, the small, clear container's kind of handy for storing all sorts of small items. Might be the best thing about Tic Tacs, which have never impressed me as being anything remarkable as mints.

proxy.php

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
How do you only get one shave from a feather SE blade? I don't use the OB, but I use an AC SS and get up to two dozen shaves out of a feather pro SE blade. How do you afford it too? Those feather blades are quite expensive compared to DE blades.

A trick I learned in hospital last year.................
If you drink small bottles of water, the empties are ideal for disposing of blades - with the cap on they're impossible to crush with your bare hands, and the blade is clearly visible so anybody with a 3-figure IQ who handles it afterwards will know to dispose of it safely

This is simple. I just no longer purchase brands which don't come in a plastic dispenser. Those dispensers have slots in the back in which to slide to the used blades. When you are done with those 5 new blades, the dispenser holds 5 used blades and it simple gets thrown out. Wilkinsons and Feathers come packaged that way.

Thanks Lenaud. I literally hit send and thought to myself...an altitude tin would work.

There is so much good knowledge on this site sometimes it's easier to ask before you think through an issue yourself.
Maybe in the process of organizing your issue into a question, the interim solution popped to mind.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I feel the same way. Never be ashamed of just asking a question outright. I know some fora get their knickers in a twist because someone has the gall to <gasp> ask a question before performing an exhaustive search first. Not here, man. Fire away!

I actually asked a member of the housekeeping staff about this, recently. First, they always pick up the trash can and dump it. They don't reach into the trash can for ANYTHING, unless it sticks to the point that knocking the can (pretty hard) doesn't dislodge it. Then, they'll likely still use something other than gloved hands to get it out. So, that's a long way of saying that you can just toss the bare blade in the can.

However, if you want to take extra precautions, you already have some nice solutions for bringing home your used blades. If you want to leave them in the hotel can with peace of mind that no one will be cut, just put a bit of duct tape or electrical tape over the edge when you toss it. I always have a roll of electrical tape or one of those small, "field" rolls of duct tape in my luggage for when something happens.

How do you only get one shave from a feather SE blade? I don't use the OB, but I use an AC SS and get up to two dozen shaves out of a feather pro SE blade. How do you afford it too? Those feather blades are quite expensive compared to DE blades.

Before using the Oneblade I would have said the same thing. When I looked at the website and saw they suggested replacing your blade every shave I thought it was marketing bs.

My preferred DE is an Astra and with those I was only getting 3 shaves to a blade because I have a coarse beard and also have a lot of beard to shave. However with the Obeblade I notice a big difference between even the first and second shave. I have never gone past 2 shaves because the second gets tuggy and a little rough.

I know the particular blade used in the razor was used in an Autostrap, so maybe it is a blade intended to be stropped?

As far as price, it isn't cheap. I don't buy them from the website. Total ripoff. I get them from Ebay. Even then it's about 50 cents a piece. Not cheap, however I figure they think if you are willing to pay 300 for the razor you will pay a lot more then average for blades. One hundred
was my initial purchase and it will last me half a year as I don't shave every day. I will be using the Oneblade till I run out of razors at least and then decide if I want to continue because of cost.

Nothing about shaving with the Oneblade is cheap. But it is easy to use and gives a bbs. I will keep using it till I am out of blades.

This is simple. I just no longer purchase brands which don't come in a plastic dispenser. Those dispensers have slots in the back in which to slide to the used blades. When you are done with those 5 new blades, the dispenser holds 5 used blades and it simple gets thrown out. Wilkinsons and Feathers come packaged that way.

+1. I can purchase Top Care Blades (really Personna Reds) in a 10 quantity plastic dispenser that also has a slot for disposing of used blades.

The problem is, if you use the Oneblade razor there is only one option of razor the Feather FHS and they only come in cardboard boxes.
proxy.php

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Nothing about shaving with the Oneblade is cheap. But it is easy to use and gives a bbs. I will keep using it till I am out of blades.

Its all good. Whatever works for you. I have an autostrop and have yet to buy those blades and give a whirl. I have a stash of NOS Valet blades as well. So some day I will give it a try.

And i usually get 3 shaves from a normal DE blade like Astra or Vokshod too. Even if I think I can squeeze a fourth shave from a blade, i usually just toss it anyways and load a new one. But those blades are closer to 10 cents a piece.

In the meantime, good luck with your one blade. It sounds like an adventure to use.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The problem is, if you use the Oneblade razor there is only one option of razor the Feather FHS and they only come in cardboard boxes.

You know what? You may have just answered your own (original) question. When you travel, bring along an empty box. Pop your used blades back in the empty box. Close up the box on your way out. Maybe use a spot of tape to keep it closed, if you think you need that, but you probably don't. In any case, bingo.

I usually bring the used blade back with me and dispose of it at home. I just wrap it in whatever paper it came in like it was originally packaged and keep it separate from the rest in some way so that I know it's used. I have wrapped blades up and put them in the garbage but I don't want someone to get cut and lose sleep worrying that they've contracted some disease.

The tic tac container is a great idea. Though I'd likely just use it to bring the blade back with me to dispose of it at home as well.

Top Bottom