What's new

Won a 1914 head in a pif from @shave/brush , thanks buddy! :thumbup: He gave me a Merkur 1904 handle to go with it, I just needed to get a threaded stud to put them together. Well, being a brass guy, and a do-it-yourselfer, I made one out of brass. All I could find on hand to work with was a brass wood screw that had a section of unthreaded shank. The shank was 7/32" which is two sizes bigger than what I needed, but that's OK. I cut the head off of the screw, chucked the screw in a drill and reduced the size down to 3/16" with some emery cloth, and threaded it. Cut off what I needed and I was in business.

Screw.

$1914-15.jpg

Here's the rest.

$1914-9.jpg

$1914-10.jpg

$1914-11.jpg

$1914-12.jpg

Looks good buddy. Let us know how you like the shave after you take it for a spin. Did you change the thread or is it still a 10-32?

Last edited:
I wasn't impressed by the shave unfortunately, not as efficient as my 1912 or my 1924. I'm going to stick with it for a while and see if it can do better. It also seemed to be very mild, and loud!

Please give me your opinions on the 1914. I thought this was considered to be an aggressive razor?

It was a new GEM SS blade by the way, that's all I use.

Looks good buddy. Let us know how you like the shave after you take it for a spin. Did you change the thread or is it still a 10-32?

It's 10-32, I'm gonna have to shave with it some more, I wonder if the modern handle is throwing me off somehow? I always use vintage handles. I'm gonna work with it the rest of the week. :thumbup1:

Just to be clear, all 1914's have an 8-24 thread for the handle, at least from the factory. [MENTION=61531]shave/brush[/MENTION] had re-tapped this particular 1914 so that it could be used with modern handles. The later 1912's (but not the squat head models) and all 1924's have a 10-32 thread.

I'm not sure what is going on here; the 1914 is an aggressive razor, perhaps less so than the 1924 but definitely more so than the 1912. I find the 1914 shave to be similar to that of a 1924. I certainly would not describe it as "very mild."

Make certain that the springs under the cap are pressing the blade firmly against the blade stops. I've seen some with weak/bent/broken springs, although yours appears to be okay in the pictures. Also try a different blade, if for no other reason than to rule out a dud blade.

The handle shouldn't be a problem. I have 1914's with everything from short travel handles to modern heavy stainless steel handles and they're all great shavers.

--Bob

Graydog

Biblical Innards
My experience is that the 1914 is very vocal, and the shave is much closer than the 1912s. It is probably one of my favorite razors. I think that you are shaving with the wrong side of the razor, turn it around and try it again:0

Just to be clear, all 1914's have an 8-24 thread for the handle, at least from the factory. @shave/brush had re-tapped this particular 1914 so that it could be used with modern handles. The later 1912's (but not the squat head models) and all 1924's have a 10-32 thread.

I'm not sure what is going on here; the 1914 is an aggressive razor, perhaps less so than the 1924 but definitely more so than the 1912. I find the 1914 shave to be similar to that of a 1924. I certainly would not describe it as "very mild."

Make certain that the springs under the cap are pressing the blade firmly against the blade stops. I've seen some with weak/bent/broken springs, although yours appears to be okay in the pictures. Also try a different blade, if for no other reason than to rule out a dud blade.

The handle shouldn't be a problem. I have 1914's with everything from short travel handles to modern heavy stainless steel handles and they're all great shavers.

--Bob

@spidey9

Thanks Bob.

The razor seems to be undamaged other than scuff marks, and the blade is held firmly and fully forward. Maybe it was just me. $icon_dunno - Copy.gif

My experience is that the 1914 is very vocal, and the shave is much closer than the 1912s. It is probably one of my favorite razors. I think that you are shaving with the wrong side of the razor, turn it around and try it again:0

But the side with words on it is so purdy I just had to use it to shave with! :w00t:

$icon_slap - Copy.gif

[MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION] - I second Bob's recommendation to check the two back springs, and would go further and say bend them out a bit to increase tension.

I had the same problem with my 1914, everything looked perfect but it didn't shave well. The springs were bent so that even though they held the blade on the stops, the blade would recess a bit when shaving then spring right back. Bent them a bit to increase tension and it's now become my favorite SE, squeaking by my 1924. Once you get your dialed in, it'll be right up there with the 1924 in aggression, and noticeably more than any 1912.

My favorite 1914 is an oddball Canadian version with a different patent date. It has a slightly longer (about 3.25") but completely hollow handle, which turns it into a Ferrari compared to my American 1914 with the solid heavy handle.

@TobyC - I second Bob's recommendation to check the two back springs, and would go further and say bend them out a bit to increase tension.

I had the same problem with my 1914, everything looked perfect but it didn't shave well. The springs were bent so that even though they held the blade on the stops, the blade would recess a bit when shaving then spring right back. Bent them a bit to increase tension and it's now become my favorite SE, squeaking by my 1924. Once you get your dialed in, it'll be right up there with the 1924 in aggression, and noticeably more than any 1912.

My favorite 1914 is an oddball Canadian version with a different patent date. It has a slightly longer (about 3.25") but completely hollow handle, which turns it into a Ferrari compared to my American 1914 with the solid heavy handle.

:thumbup1: I will look at those today @rudyt !

Top Bottom