What's new

Huitlacoche

Who among us has had the opportunity to taste "The Mexican Truffle" -- as this edible corn fungus is sometimes know -- fresh?

Not I -- I've only ever had it canned, and even that's not all that easy to find.

I was talking with a mushroom vendor at a farmers' market recently, and she suggested going directly to corn growers to see if they have any ears.

I'd love to see the ears firsthand. I've seen the pictures, and it looks like aliens have taken over the corn.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This is funny. I grew corn in my backyard. It was beautiful too. I let it go too long and when I went to shuck the corn there were fingers and nodules of fungus growing on all the ears. I threw it all out. This "Mexican Truffle" better not be a delicacy.

I had some in an excellent Mexican restaurant in NYC some years ago, and it was fantastic. It may look gnarly, but it is well worth trying if you can find it fresh.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've had it. Comparing it to a truffle is a good way to think about it. It's very earthy. Straight up, it's pretty much like eating dirt (sort of like a truffle is). Used a little more sparingly and with other stuff, it's something like a corny, mushroomy. truffle thing. It's nice, but it's nothing I'll go out of my way for.

http://www.mexicoguru.com/articles/huitlacoche.php

proxy.php

In one of my fungus growing books. it has farmers spraying a whole field of corn, with an liquid culture of this..I haven't ate this yet canned or fresh.

My wife and her family don't eat it - it doesn't seem to be a thing in Jalisco. Every year I have a couple of students who love the stuff, but it is only available canned around here.

I wonder if you can take a can of it, mix it with small amount of molasses and h2o and spray down a field of corn..I have to ask someone with more knowledge of mushrooms then me.I know of one guy that should know..

Top Bottom