What's new

First DE Shave in 7 Years - Story Time - Van Der Hagen Razor

my my apologies still learning the terminology what are you meaning by carts, is it a reference to cartridge razors?

It was a reference to cartridge razors. I love that so many of us make the switch to save money and ultimately end up with an expensive hobby!

I will have to check my receipt, but the price tag said $7 for the razor...

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I think I will stick with it this time

Here is what I used today.

proxy.php
Welcome :thumbup1:

I will have to check my receipt, but the price tag said $7 for the razor...

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I think I will stick with it this time

Here is what I used today.

I actually find that Cremo works better without a brush.

Happy to hear that the shaves are going better this go around for you. Keep on shaving :)

My Futur arrived today, and I shaved using a Astra SP.

Wow. I was duly impressed, the shave was wonderful. This is not at all like what I experienced the first time. No pain, only 2 very minor nicks, and super super super smooth except along the jawline/chin with the angles are a bit harder to hit.

Very excited to continue this journey now.

I started with a Micro Touch / Weishi and I did not like the Dorco 301s in that razor, but really like Dorco 300s in my Gillette NEWs but only for a few shaves.
Try your progress again when you've got your technique down a bit more. Just make sure the blade is aligned evenly when you tighten down.
I've heard other people say their merkur's razor head allowed some blade movement. My 23c was practically adjustable how much more blade exposure I could get by pushing the blade out and my 39c can be a little uneven if I don't pay attention.

Last edited:
Oh ya and as [MENTION=70368]paintflinger[/MENTION] said, Cremo is a brushless cream so try rubbing it directly on face from the tube.
I haven't tried it but heard it's pretty good.

Excellent choice to get back in. I just started myself 2 weeks ago and my skin is thanking me for it. What a relaxing pleasure it is to wet shave.

Weishi razors sell under the name of VDH, Baili, and many other brands. I've acquired some for travel. I find the shaves comparable to more expensive razors, though there are a few little annoyances with Weishis. I've also had the head threads strip on one of them. The $7 price was for-real. If it bought you a work-around from your earlier bad experience with traditional shaving, then it has already paid for itself.
Apparently VDH brings the razors in from China. The blades are probably of slightly higher quality, being from Solingen, the cutlery capital of Germany. Wherever the goods come from, they present some retail space and introduce a lot of people to traditional shaving.

Top Bottom