What's new

National Parks FREE Admission 25-28

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
100 years! I'll be darn!

I'd like to celebrate with them.

$nat. parks.jpg

I had no idea ... you guys pay to get into parks?

In America you have to pay for everything, even driving on some of the roads cost $$$. If they don't charge you for it, they tax you to provide it, ,even if you don't want it.

After a while it becomes "normal" (sort of) :001_smile

About the only natural areas that are free are National Forests and Wildlife Management areas. Federal parks and State parks all have an "entry fee". If you want to spend the night (camp), there is an additional fee charged.

BUT..... On the bright side.

When you get to be over 65 years old, you can "ask" for a National Parks Senior Pass which lets you get in for free and gives you a discount on camping fees. The pass is good at all National Parks and you just have to show a driver's license (to show age) and they are issued at all entry stations (that's what they call the ranger station where they stick their hands in your pocket for money).

Even with an entry fee some National Parks are so popular that they do not let you bring a car in. You have to park and take a shuttle bus or walk. Most are like Disney Land and packed wall to wall with people on the weekends and National Holidays.

Military (active and retired) are also free entry. I am sure that there are other groups that are not charged but old folks and the military are the two that come to mind

Certainly interesting. We do have the odd toll highway here and there, and once in blue moon you may find a 'major' park where you need a day pass, but all those parks have separate rear or side entrances that you can also use that are free, a strange loop hole in the system they do on purpose for whatever reason. One place I go regularly where I get a lot of my bird pictures is a five dollar 'car park' fee, but if you drive two miles around there's a back road that just drives right into the same parking loop!

In America you have to pay for everything, even driving on some of the roads cost $$$. If they don't charge you for it, they tax you to provide it, ,even if you don't want it.
/QUOTE]

My wife, a naturalized Vietnamese, said the fee was worth it while we're on vacation here in the middle of Mount Rushmore. I have to agree. It's a minor fee to pay to enjoy some of the most breathtaking views in the world. And that is no exaggeration.

Don

My wife, a naturalized Vietnamese, said the fee was worth it while we're on vacation here in the middle of Mount Rushmore. I have to agree. It's a minor fee to pay to enjoy some of the most breathtaking views in the world. And that is no exaggeration.

Don

the fees charged are nominal and do not come close to cover the cost to maintain the parks.

The National park system in this country is made up of the most beautiful parts of this continent and are maintained in pristine natural condition for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm

I don't mind paying the fees. They are very reasonable.

However, a few fee free days is a good promotional tool. Thanks for the tip.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Just a quick note- as it has not yet been granted full landmark status, prospective visitors to Ouch World of New Jersey should be aware that the regular exorbitant price structure is still in effect and, as always, the Hall of Ouch exhibit requires a separate admission.

Actually Canadian National Parks do have entrance fees and from what I've seen they are higher than in the USA. For example an Annual Pass that will get a car load of people into any National Park in the US costs $80. A similar pass good for only 27 of Canada's National Parks costs C$136.40 at the moment.

Next year (2017, the whole year) all Canadian National Parks will have free admission in celebration of 150 years of confederation. So come on over!

Last edited:
I don't know about through Alberta, but here in Ontario, of the few dozen I frequent anyway, there's always a secondary way in that is free and un posted. All the pay places are really just fee's for those who drive in for the day. If you walk or bike in the even the main entrances, then there is no fee.

Let me clarify something that was posted above about the National Park Senior Pass. The age to qualify is 62 and not 65. If you are 62 or over you buy a LIFETIME pass for $10. That gives you entrance to not only the national parks themselves but to all the other small national designated areas. It's a no brainer. Even if you think you'll never, ever need it, for a ten spot it's pretty cheap insurance should you someday be visiting a national park. Happy Birthday, National Park System.

Top Bottom