What's new

SS's are amazing...

Just wanted to second what I've heard many, many times on this forum. I've been using two razors consistently, a Merkur Classic and a Black Handle SS. After getting the hang of DE for the first few weeks, I switched back to the Merkur to get a better idea of which razor is really my favorite (I think that it was hard to tell for the first few weeks). Well, the shaves were ok (with Derbys, and when those ran out, Sweedish Gillettes), but I always managed to have irritation on my neck.

Well, today I switched back to the SS, and used a Gillette blade. Great shave!!! 3 passes, 2-WTG, and some touch up. Didn't approach BBS (and I haven't tried yet), but it was way milder on my neck (no irritation!!!), and a slightly better shave than the Merkur. I really love this razor, and will probably stick with it for a while. It's funny that something you buy in an antique shop for a dollar will perform better than your shiny new $30 razor..............who knew.

Anyway, I would have to say that, in my noob-based experience, a SS is thE BEST razor for a beginner.

Not just for beginners. i started shaving during the Eisenhower administration and my early-version Superspeed is still my go-to razor. Gillette did indeed get it right with that one. The Fatboy is right up there, too. But if I could have only one razor, it would be my Superspeed.

Not just for beginners. i started shaving during the Eisenhower administration and my early-version Superspeed is still my go-to razor. Gillette did indeed get it right with that one. The Fatboy is right up there, too. But if I could have only one razor, it would be my Superspeed.

Now this is a true testiment to the SS and it's longevity...Thank you!!!

My 40's SuperSpeed's are great razors. I love to use them. They are at the top of the list in performance. But the aesthetics of these razors is what does it for me. I am crazy about them, especially my black tip. They are the ultimate execution of form following function. No razor looks better to me.

I have never needed an adjsutable. I have the HD and Slant and even though my SS is my most gentle razor it is an amazing tool :w00t:
Just last night I cleaned it up with some abrasive paste. It is my oldest possesion (heck it is older than me) but now it looks like my chromed polish HD :drool:

Its a fine choice in razors for many of us..I hope to always shave a few in my rotation..

Smooth shaving....

You guys are a bad influence. Now I have to find me a SS. :biggrin:

Once you get one, you'll see what all the hype is about. My '40s SS is my go-to razor, thanks to Thirdeye :)001_smile). Still love my '58 though. You just can't go wrong with vintage Gillette!

The SS is one of the best razors out there. In my opinion, you have too look a lot harder and spend way more money to get a better shaving Gillette.

I bought a '57 (my birth year) SS in March when I started DE shaving and I really like it. I just got a '49 SS in the mail this morning from eBay in GREAT shape. Can't wait to use it - well, I have to wait as my face couldn't take another pass, but you know what I mean.

Top Bottom