What's new

Found this guy in my yard today!

While watering my yard today, I spotted something green moving in one of my cypress trees. Turned out to be and a very nice looking praying mantis.
I couldn't tell you it is male or female, but I am quite happy to have it in my yard.
I did catch it and held it my hand long enough to show my 2.5 year old daughter who got a big kick out of seeing it. She even tried to kiss it, if you can believe it.
After taking a few quick pictures I relocated it to my citrus tree in the back yard.
$tmp_14155-20160823_11161735717280.jpg
$tmp_14155-20160823_111014-923915145.jpg

I haven't seen any so far this year, we usually have quite a few. When the eggs hatch there will be hundreds of little teeny ones all over!

I just saw one earlier today, it was just hanging out on the side of a building. First one I've seen this year, we have quite a few around here too. They really love asparagus when it goes through the bushy stage. I was at a friends house a few years ago and he just ran his hand through the bush and there must have been hundreds of them in there.

We have lots, but we also have lots of grasshoppers this year. I saw a mantis yesterday that was easily 6 inches long.

Very strange creatures. I always marvel at the incredible variety of plants and animals on our planet.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Whenever I see one I think of this.

[video]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050294/[/video]

Here is another picture of the mantis in my citrus tree. I just took it. He seems happy there.
$tmp_20793-20160823_1758181023494328.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Cool! I used to play with them all the time as a kid.

There has been one on my truck a couple of times lately...once it jumped on my shirt and I had to pick it off and put it down in the grass. I guess I'll pick it up next time and get a pic. Those things are neat.

Mantids are stone cold killers. Praying mantises, walking sticks, you name it. I'll have as many in my yard as mother nature can provide. I will also gladly accept dragonflies and damsel flies to patrol the skies and take out gnats and mosquitoes in mid-air.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Here's how you tell if it's male or female. Find another mantis and place it in front of your specimen. If the new mantis rips its own head off, yours is a female.

Top Bottom