What's new

Aftershave - Great ingredients?

I am looking for an aftershave that:

A: Smells great (or has a selection of scents)
B: Ingredients are of excellent quality withou unecessary bad for you stuff (stuff = technical term..lol)

Can you guys help? If there is a thread, link me!

Thank you in advance.

Any of the classics - Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Clubman Original, Mennen Skin Bracer, Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

As someone suggested, lucky tiger is a nice AS. I also like Fine Accoutrements, but they don't necessarily have anything nourishing for your skin but nothing bad either. Fine has alcohol. Lucky Tiger is alc free.

They're not cheap, but the Wm Neumann line has amazing ingredients, scents and face-feel. It's my favorite family of aftershave splashes, but Floid, PAA and Myrsol come close.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Stetson or Aqua Velva blue are both at wallyworld, cheap, and provide good face-feel afterwards.

AA

They're not cheap, but the Wm Neumann line has amazing ingredients, scents and face-feel. It's my favorite family of aftershave splashes, but Floid, PAA and Myrsol come close.

Ditto on the Wm Neuman and PAA lines. If you like those, try The Holy Black, too. Great scents and not bad on the face feel, either. Gunpowder Spice, Mountain Man and Sandalwood Smoke are favorites.

And don't forget Speik original. I don't care for the scent, but it's wholesome with excellent face feel.

Last edited:
Master's Bay Rum. Not overly clovey and has glycerin. You can buy it at Sally's Beauty Supply.
Master bay rum is nice, but I don't think it actually has glycerin in it anymore. I believe that older bottles used to list it as an ingredient, but now it has bay oil (which gives off a similar feel to glycerine from what I've tried)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Master bay rum is nice, but I don't think it actually has glycerin in it anymore. I believe that older bottles used to list it as an ingredient, but now it has bay oil (which gives off a similar feel to glycerine from what I've tried)

I sent Master Well Combe the following email asking them about their Bay Rum:

"To Master Well Combe, Inc,
I recently stopped into my local Sally Beauty Supply to purchase another bottle of Master Bay Rum after shave. I noticed the packaging looked different than normal, mainly at first I noticed that the green ink used on the label was much darker. After closer inspection I noticed that the ingredients list had also changed.

old bottle: Deionized Pure Water, SD Alcohol 40, Glycerin, Bay Oil, D&C Yellow #5, FD & C Yellow #6.

new bottle: Water (Aqua/Eau), Pimenta Acris (Bay) Leaf Oil, SD Alcohol 40, Yellow 5 and Yellow 6.

Did you really remove the ingredient glycerin from your product? That is one of the biggest reasons I like the Master brand after shave, is because of the high level of glycerin in it. I'm also curious, since the bay oil and alcohol have switch in the order of precedence, did you increase the amount of bay oil or just decrease the amount of alcohol in it, or both? Can you tell me what the new percentage of alcohol in your product is?

If you have removed glycerin from your product, can you tell me the reason for removing it? I really hope you consider adding it back in.

Thank You for your time, and I look forward to hearing your response.

-KJ Vezino"

This is the detailed response I received:

"The formula has not changed."

Maybe the FDA doesn't require them to list Glycerin anymore?

I was given some Beaver Woodwright Swashbuckler that has best face feel I've tried.
Alcohol, water, witch hazel, aloe, vitamin e, menthol and essential oils.
If the other BW AS have similar ingredients it's worth checking out.

That's odd. Something fishy going on here.
It definitely has a glycerin-y feel too it still I think, and while I haven't tried the "old" version it looks like that one had alcohol listed higher on the ingredient list. The bottle I have doesn't really have much in the way of burn, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is less alcohol in it nowadays than there might have been earlier.

Top Bottom